Plecos Suitable for a 125l?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Derigriff

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been researching different Plecos for quite some time now, looking for a striking yet suitable one to include in a 125l community setup. I had originally envisioned the Starlight Pleco L183, but acquiring one has been more challenging than i'd thought :p Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative Pleco that would suit this tank size? I'd looked at the blue phantom Pleco L128 recently, but I think they grow to 7"(!) and I'm no expert but that seems a little big for the tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What are the dimensions of the tank, specifically the bottom of the tank?

Oh of course! My apologies. The dimensions are 80x35x50cm (LxWxH)

It's just that our tank dimensions in the UK are different from the US for the same volume :)

I understand :) I can't believe i forgot a crucial detail :p Thanks for the reminder. Out of curiosity, do you know what the typical US dimensions would be for the same/similar volume?

It's 33 US gallons, so it would probably be a 33 long. If it was a standard it would probably be like
48 x 12 x 12 (inches)

Tanks in the UK tend to be taller and narrower than those in the US, but there's no set size for any given volume.
80 x 35 cm is 31.5 x 14 inches, so definitely less floor space than US tanks of the same volume.

I don't know much about plecs as I've never had any so I'll leave that for someone else :)

Thank you both for the information on US tank size, it's been very helpful. Most recommendations I've seen online are based on tank volume, and are usually American. So it's good to have a better idea of the footprint they expect to go along with the volume suggested.

Bristlenose Pleco or Albino Bristlenose Pleco. Grows to about 5". Will be out and about a lot.

The zebra Plecos are about 3". The L129 is a Columbian False Zebra Pleco and much cheaper than Zebra Pleco. €30 v €200 here. But a night time shyer Pleco.

I'd go with Bristlenose. You can get a longfin for something a bit fancier. Lemon or Albino or the brown one.

Bristlenose is a good bet, especially for a first time loricariidae keeper. They're pretty hardy. Many other pleco species are not.

For hardiness, you can also try the L104, or clown pleco. It's circa 4". But you probably won't ever see it.

There are many others which stay small. I have four L199s (Orinoco zebra pleco) in a 125L. They grow to about 5" and aren't shy at all. Before I got those guys I had two L260s and an L471 in the same tank, but they sadly did not survive a whitespot outbreak. The L260s get about 4" long and the L471 stays about 3". But they were incredibly shy and I had to sneak into the living room with a headtorch on red light mode to catch a glimpse of them.

I know L340 and L066 stay small and are also relatively common in the hobby.

All the plecos I mentioned in the previous two paragraphs are Hypancistrus species, which means they are primarily carniverous and won't eat algae. They all require pristine water conditions.

L104 and a significant number of other species are primarily wood eaters. They won't really eat algae, either.

L187b, rubberlip pleco, eats algae but also requires pristine water conditions at low temperatures, and if you get one, don't do something stupid, like I did, and feed it a courgette that probably had pesticides on it. The bristlenose survived this. The L187b, sadly, did not.

At the top of this subforum, there's a sticky with the title "Plecos under 8" or something to that effect. Have a look and Google the ones you're interested in, which is basically anything 5" and under. See if your water conditions and general tank set-up will suit it. You'll figure out what might work in your tank.

Last edited:
What Gypsum said.I endorse.
My take is..don't fall for colorful baby Plecos at sky high prices. "Gold Nuggets" grow to at least 8" and lose all the yellow and the dots fade. A nice Pleco.but not what you paid $65 worth. Ancistrus is your best bet to the point you can breed them. Local stores should take a few in trade for credit at least.
I haven't heard of anybody saying they had a Whiptail kind of cat live a long life..or they would be another candidate. Keep that in mind. Before you buy a L-Something,check the internet to see what adults look like. Bars and stripes can fade..colors too as I said.

Temminckii pleco's are good, voracious eaters. I have 3 in 3 different tanks. They get about 4~5 inches and.will keep the tank spotless.

Only look into the common pleco's if you have a massive tank. Even my 75 gallon is too small.for the one I have. No room to just swim. They'll survive in there, but that's about it.

Stick to the smaller species. Rubberlips too stay small. If you want a rewarding challenge, you could get oto's, but these fish like heavily planted tanks. They too are voracious eaters. You gotta keep them in schools though. They are a.social fish.

I've been researching different Plecos for quite some time now, looking for a striking yet suitable one to include in a 125l community setup. I had originally envisioned the Starlight Pleco L183, but acquiring one has been more challenging than i'd thought :p Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative Pleco that would suit this tank size? I'd looked at the blue phantom Pleco L128 recently, but I think they grow to 7"(!) and I'm no expert but that seems a little big for the tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, a while since your post. I also was reaching a pleco for a 125 litre tank and I went with a L066 King tiger. Love him and I believe grows to about 5 inch

Attachments

• 20210310_115456.jpg
    20210310_115456.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 92

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back