FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Lenny Richards

Reaction score
Hi all, Iā€™m new here, so please be gentle.
I have a 105l tank (27.74 us gallons) & 2 fancy goldfish (1 oranda & 1 shubunkin) and a small Bristlenose Pleco.
Itā€™s looking like my goldies have ich.
Iā€™ve been reading up about treatments & am slowly increasing the tank temp from 23C (73.4F) which is the tanks usual temperature due to general ambient temperature, up to 30C (86F) over a 48 hour period.
Once warmed up I was going to add API Aquarium Salt at a ratio of 1 teaspoon per gallon. Then maintain this regimen for 10 days doing a 30% water change every other day, before reducing the temp back to normal & reducing the salt levels through continued 30% water changes every 2 days for a further 10 days, then returning to my normal 30 - 40% waster change every week.
But Iā€™m reading conflicting advice about how the Plecos will react to the salt.
Do any of the fish gurus here have any definitive advice or guidance please?
The tank also contains elodea (I think a recent batch brought the ich with it) and java fern.
Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Have you added anything new to the tank in the last couple of weeks?

How long has the tank been set up for?

------------------------
Plecos aren't really fond of salt but can tolerate low levels for a couple of weeks. However, you do not need salt to treat whitespot. You can kill whitespot by raising the temperature to 30C (86F) and keeping it there for 2 weeks.

Do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate before raising the temperature. This will dilute the number of parasites in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.
Do not clean the filter if it's less than 6 weeks old because you can mess up the filter cycle.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the warmer water.

The 86F temp will kill the ich without the salt. My pleco HATES salt. Just do the temp elevation for 2 weeks and vacuum substrate every couple of days. The ich should go away by then. Good luck!

Thank you for the replies.
The tank has been set up for about 9 months, weā€™ve had the goldies & the plecco since it was cycled.
All water parameters are reading as fine.
New addition was the elodea about 10 days ago & the while spots have appeared in the last 24 hours.
Iā€™m struggling with the pics because doing all this on my iphone & I'm not very technical lol, but Iā€™ll try & follow your instructions. Thanks again.

I think Iā€™ve managed to get a few pics which show the bright white spots on the rails of both goldies & the pleco, who was hiding lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    905.3 KB · Views: 340
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 323
Yep, definitely whitespot.. It would have come in on the new plants.

Sorry I had to check to make sure it is whitespot. Male goldfish get small white bumps on their pectoral fins and gill covers when they come into breeding condition and a lot of people think the breeding spots are whitespot.

So I did a 80% water change yesterday & the water temp was increased gradually to 30 degrees C & has been there since lunch time today. The airator is on almost full blas with 2 air stones.
This afternoon both goldies were swimming like they were on something & then they just flakes out. For the last couple of hours theyā€™ve both been just lying on the bottom of the tank. Gills are moving.
Is this normal?

The heat is knocking the goldfish about. Drop the temperature and do a 75% water change. Then use medication to treat the whitespot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back