Pleco witha bad poop

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

helptoall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi i have a pleco thqt is having a bad poop for a few weeks. its brown but long and stringy and has a weired a shape.
Hes eating and looking good.
You think i should try using meds? what do you suggest?
71333390_519509438593298_152081935798108160_n.jpg

DO you have any wood in the tank?
Plecos need to graze on wood to aid the digestive process.

What are you feeding it?
Make sure it gets a variety of foods that are mostly plant based. Algae is great for them.
Make sure they have driftwood like Seangee has noted.

----------------------
I wouldn't add any chemicals/ medications. Just look at the fish's diet and make sure it's being fed a variety of foods.

theres driftwoo and i feed him 2 types of plecoes food of tetra and and sera

Make sure the fish gets fresh plant matter. You can feed them on cucumber, zucchini, carrot, pumpkin, spinach, silverbeet, marine algae, etc. Just make sure they are free of chemicals. If the fish doesn't eat them straight away try again the following day. Remove uneaten food after an hour or so.

You can blanch the food before feeding if they don't eat it raw. Blanching is simply putting the food in boiling water for a short time to soften it up, but not cook it completely.

You can put a container of tap water outside in the sun and put some smooth rocks or plastic ornaments in it. Add 1 level tablespoon of plant fertiliser per 20 litre (5 gallons) of water and let it turn green. Algae will grow on the rocks and ornaments and you can put these in the tank for the fish to graze on. Just give the items a quick rinse under tap water before putting them in the tank. When they are clean, swap them for other items in the container of green water.

You can put a container of tap water outside in the sun and put some smooth rocks or plastic ornaments in it. Add 1 level tablespoon of plant fertiliser per 20 litre (5 gallons) of water and let it turn green. Algae will grow on the rocks and ornaments and you can put these in the tank for the fish to graze on. Just give the items a quick rinse under tap water before putting them in the tank. When they are clean, swap them for other items in the container of green water.[/QUOTE]
That is the best new idea I have ever heard for this particular problem. Perfect in its simplicity. I hope I get a chance to put it to work someday.

Edit: something weird happened. That's Colin's post.

Edit: something weird happened. That's Colin's post.
You deleted the first part of my post. Copy and paste the following into the start of your post (at the start of what I wrote). It is the first part of a quote and it was deleted.

[ QUOTE="Colin_T, post: 3836543, member: 38786"][/QUOTE ]

After you copy and paste the [quote bit above], remove the space after the first [ and just before the last ]

What I tried to say but goofed up was that Colin's idea about the rocks growing the algae on them outside in the sun and then feeding was pure genius. As for all that computerese. :/ I'm too old a dog to learn those new tricks.

As for all that computerese. :/ I'm too old a dog to learn those new tricks.
You only missed the first section that is in brackets [ ]

There are 3 parts to a quote. The first part has
[ QUOTE="Back in the fold, post: 3836580, member: 134857"]

The second part of the quote is the message that was written.

The third part of the quote is the end quote in brackets.
[ /QUOTE]

----------------------
I have put a space between the first bracket [ and the QUOTE="Back in the fold.....
and a space between the bracket [ and /QUOTE so it can be read, otherwise it gets messy.

If something gets deleted or added to the first part or the third part, it won't show up as a quote.

If you highlight something that has been written and click reply, you will be able to see the way it is written.:)

Last edited:
You only missed the first section that is in brackets [ ]

There are 3 parts to a quote. The first part has
[ QUOTE="Back in the fold, post: 3836580, member: 134857"]

The second part of the quote is the message that was written.

The third part of the quote is the end quote in brackets.
[ /QUOTE]

----------------------
I have put a space between the first bracket [ and the QUOTE="Back in the fold.....
and a space between the bracket [ and /QUOTE so it can be read, otherwise it gets messy.

If something gets deleted or added to the first part or the third part, it won't show up as a quote.

If you highlight something that has been written and click reply, you will be able to see the way it is written.:)
(Accompanied by a long anguished howl of mental pain) I'm so confused ! ???? Thanks for trying man, but it's just too brainy for me. :(

Pleco with a bad poop

Books kids might read.
Everybody poops.

Books fishkeepers read.
Every Pleco poops :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back