Pleco vs Oto vs Algae Eater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

devillikeme

Reaction score
I've heard plecos can produce a lot of waste, so I'm curious on what the differences are between them, otos, and algae eaters, especially waste product differences

Algae eaters are not specific fish. They are simply fish that eat algae including plecos and otos.

Now, for the difference. I have owned otos in the past and they are very fun fish to have. They also do a great job on the algae. They do create less waste, but you have to keep a school of them so it probably adds up to the same amount of waste. The problem with them is that they are extremely sensitive fish. The slightest change in water will kill them. Also, they often are malnourished while being prepared to get shipped to fish stores, and sometimes, if they don;t get food, they won't eat when they do get food and then they starve to death.

I personally prefer plecos because, though they grow bigger and are messy, you can keep them by themselves, they come in all different sizes and colors, and they are very good at eating algae. I currently have a clown pleco who managed to clean my tank filled with algae in about three days. What I really like about them though, is that they are very hardy fish which obviously makes them easier to care for. They also have really fun personalities, but otos do too.

I guess, in the end it depends on your skill level, how much work you are willing to do, the size of your tank, and your tastes. ;)

Just to add to what has been posted already. Fish that will eat "algae" will not eat all types (species) of algae; they have distinct preferences. The point here is, do not rely on any "algae" eating fish to deal with problem algae. Acquire the fish because you like the fish, not for what it might (or more often won't) do respecting algae.

Second point is that not all plecos will eat algae. Some, like the Bristlenose, are primarily vegetarian, but many are carnivorous or at best omnivorous. Otos are vegetarian. Farlowella (twig catfish) are also vegetarian. But these three (otos, Farlowella and Bristlenose) will only eat common green algae and diatoms; they will not touch "problem" algae like brush/beard, etc.

Vegetarian fish have to eat more to obtain their energy so this means they produce more waste. Their biological impact on the tank can be considerable, the larger they are.

Last edited:
I see I forgot to mention something earlier, on the "Algae Easter" in post #1. If this is the Chinese Algae Eater, it is a nasty fish as it grows, and it eats less and less algae anyway. One of these could literally tear your tank apart. The other "algae eater" is the Siamese Algae Eater, and this gets large and needs a group, and will eat brush algae (usually) but nothing else. Neither of these fish are really suited to your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back