Pleco Pickle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DJ Fresh

Reaction score
My pleco has a weird white slightly raised patch. It's not cottony, so it doesn't look like fungus. I tested my water levels and they are perfect and my other fishies look fine. Does anyone know what this could be? It looks like a little zit or something.

DJ Fresh

It sounds like it could be a cyst, how long has it been there?

(the following taken from A-Z tropical fish diseases)

"cysts are typically smooth and roughly shaped spherical growths, and white to yellow in colour..may appear blotchy...vary in size..result of infection by various spore forming protozoa, fungi, and larval helminths, the virus lymphocystis also produces cyst like growths...no chemical treatments are avalible for use with fish, preventative measures are therefore paramount, it is prudent to isolate any fish which develops cyst-like growths"

Here's my Pleco. It's starting to look like this spot on him is eating his flesh or something? :crazy:

Attachments

• DSCN1205_small.jpg
    DSCN1205_small.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 21
Could also be a Tumor: http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyclo/fre...ases.htm#Tumors

As long as it is not physically causing the fish grief, I'd wait it out for a while to see what happens, definatly keep an eye on it. If it gets infected consider treating. From most of what I've read I don't think either are seriously contagious unless other fish are picking at it, so he should be able to stay with his buddies.

Thanks so much Kerryk! I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens then. It'd be kinda gross if the other fish start pickin' at him :sick: BTW- thanks for the site you posted. :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back