Pleco Not Doing It's Job

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PermanentXHate

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a common pleco that I've had for about two months now. He's about four inches long, maybe right over. At first I figured it was because he was getting used to the new environment but now I'm starting to wonder. Algae has started growing in the tank and it's covering my decor and he doesn't move. He has one spot that he sits at and he has been in that same spot for a few days. If he does move he goes to another spot (usually one without algae) and stays THERE for days at a time. It's beinginning to erk me because I bought him to do his job and he isn't doing it.

Ideas?

It could be he doesn't liek your species of algae. Although this species does liek to eat algae, especially when it is young, you may be feeding it so well with regular fish food that he doesn't need to eat algae.. This species is omnivorous and is most likely eating shrimp pellets or what ever left over stuff is in your tank. It may not even hungry for some algae.

It could be he doesn't liek your species of algae. Although this species does liek to eat algae, especially when it is young, you may be feeding it so well with regular fish food that he doesn't need to eat algae.. This species is omnivorous and is most likely eating shrimp pellets or what ever left over stuff is in your tank. It may not even hungry for some algae.

perhaps. but then if he doesn't eat the algae what should i do with it? i don't want it to consume my tank! lol.

Try not thinking of a plec as a janitor....

Plecs do, sometimes eat some algae however they need a varied diet like other fish too. Most will eat veggies, some are omnivore needing a good variety of vegetable and meaty matter, some are predominantly carnivore and some even eat wood....

They are not tank cleaners, they are fish.

If you need to get rid of algae, get a sponge!

You could scrape it off. Honestly, I do that with my Common. Honestly, he's developed into a lazy good-for-nothing. LOL He used to take care of the algae, now...he just works a couple of small spots, and hides underneath the heater. I'd get him a friend, but...my Oscar would eat it for sure.

Sommon don't make good algaeeaters though. As they grow, they get lazier. The ones that stay smaller, like Bristlenose, are MUCH better at keeping away the algae.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a Pleco will eat the algae. I own quite a few and the only one who does his "job" is my Bristlenose. Your Common will eventually need rehoming as he will outgrow that tank, so it might be worth exchanging him for a BN. :good:

I hope he gets food for him not just algae as he will certainly wither away.

as others have said they aint there just for algae, use a scouring sponge

He eats other things too. I don't just stick my fish in there and let them "whither away" thank you very much. I feed all my fish a balanced diet and I just figured along with that he also would clean the tank. I understand he will eventually outgrow the tank but in the future I plan to get a much larger one that he will be moved into.

You could always try a small UV filter. I have one in each of my tanks as one tank in particular tends to get a lot of light rom a window and the consequent algae. The UVs (along with glass cleaning) do a good job. Have a look at:

http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/sterilizer...1e2c893b43e8633

My common plec and BNs havn't done a lot of algae eating since they were tiddlers.

You could always try a small UV filter. I have one in each of my tanks as one tank in particular tends to get a lot of light rom a window and the consequent algae. The UVs (along with glass cleaning) do a good job. Have a look at:

[URL="http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/sterilizer...1e2c893b43e8633"]http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/sterilizer...1e2c893b43e8633[/URL]

My common plec and BNs havn't done a lot of algae eating since they were tiddlers.

i will certainly look into that... thanks.+

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back