Pleco Killed By Goldfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KarenCatoe

Reaction score
I have four goldfish and I'd thought a good addition to my tank would be a small pleco. Now I've read about plecos attacking goldfish and was watchful of my goldfish for any injuries how ever what I was not prepared to see was the goldfish actively seeking out the poor pleco and attacking it.
confused.gif
I put the pleco in another bowl for few days to let it recover, when I put it back it seemed to get along fine with the goldfish, however within a couple days it started again, I woke up one morning to see the poor thing dead with it's fins in tatters. Did I do something wrong? Why did the goldfish attack the pleco unprovoked? Is there anything I can do about it because I was recently thing about getting another but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea.
sad.png
 If it helps matters I recently had to part with two of my goldfish, leaving me with only two.

Plecos are warm water fish, goldfish are cold water fish. and if your serious about putting the pleco in a bowl. please don't its absolutely horrible for the fish, buy a tank

Hi, sorry to hear about your pleco, you don't mention how big your tank is or what kind of pleco you bought as some stay smaller than others, it does sound like a case of bullying from the goldfish as these two species are not really compatible as bettabettas said plecos are suited to warmer waters than goldfish let us know a bit more about your tank and perhaps we can come up with some alternatives that you can get 
smile.png

Any pleco is not going to be happy (and therefore not healthy) in with goldfish.  Please don't consider this.

ignoring the fact Plecs are tropical and goldfish not. you would need a massive tank and filtration to deal with both fish in the same tank. and that's just with two fish. you will need a 100usg at least coupled with several high volume filters to cope with the mess both fish make.
bottom line is both fish can not be kept, successfully, in one tank. and just the goldfish on its own will need a tank of not less than 60ugs, if its a fancy and 100usg if its a standard. pleco, dependent on type has similar needs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back