Pleco Id? With Pics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AndyTaylor

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I usually post in the planted forum but need some help ID'ing this L number...

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/Andy...5%20April%2006/

Found him in a LFS near me yesterday and couldn't resist. I got my first Royal at the weekend and they seem to be getting on well but i've no idea what he is....

The photos don't really show the white tips to his dorsal and tail fins....

Thanks in advance...

Andy

Thanks emma12321, I'd started a search on planetcatfish alright but now that you've narrowed it down to Panaques i'll try again later when i#m not in work ;)
Hope he's not a tankbuster but if he is i'll just have to buy that 6 foot tank!! :)

Thanks for all the help, I reckon it's a Golden Line Royal Pleco, L027 but the white tips on the fins are more pronounced on mine so i'm not 100%... Might be juvenile coloring tho...

Nevergone815,

I found him in a fish shop that I don't usually visit as they seldom have anything unusual but this is proof that it pays to look carefully!
He was in a bare, brightly lit tank with some tetras and no-one in the shop had an idea what sp. he was.
At the weekend I got my first Royal Plec L190 and payed 40 euro for him, I have no idea what the going rate for L027 is but I payed........wait for it.............8.99 euro! :)

Anyone know how fast they grow? L027 can reach 16 inches but does this take years?

Thanks again,

Andy

Royals are apparently very slow growing, but also very territorial so I doubt he'll want to be in with your other in the long run. What a bargain though! Very jealous. :grr:

that does sound like quite a good deal for me. why don't lfs' in the US carry anything other than common plecs. i mean sometimes you can find something different but it is very costly.

Believe me, in the UK we don't normally get this kind of deal. If we did I'd have that plec above rather than my gorgeous gibby *lol*.

the Main LFS I got to, which is 30mins drive from me, stocks loads of plecs, and some ones I'd not seen before.
They stock a lot of oddballs etc.

its actually based in a garden center, called Morton Garden Centre, which is near Chirk, and wrexham, in the UK, if you can get there its wroth the travel quality fish and advice too. Make sure you ask one of the two older guys they are amazing, the younger staff are sitting their fish exams (literally)

Royals are apparently very slow growing, but also very territorial so I doubt he'll want to be in with your other in the long run. What a bargain though! Very jealous. :grr:

Thanks KathyM.... I've noticed a bit of territorial behaviour already, mostly between my Clown Plec and the L190, nothing serious but it looks like i'm going to have to decide between them...Think the clown will be going back!
Shouldn't be a problem to rehome the L027 either or maybe I need that 400L tank? Hmmmmm..

I got a few more pics of the new guy over the weekend, He's become much more active now that i've rehomed my Synodontis Eupetrus......and he loves courgette, as you can see from the pics..
I'm still not sure that he's a Golden Line Royal Pleco L027 but I can't find a closer match... maybe someone more expert might be able to tell from these pics....

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/AndyTaylorEire/Plec/

Hang on thats a completely different fish to the first picture of the plec!

You trying to fool us? The plec you have pictured now is an ancistrus of sorts and COMPLETELY different to the panaque you showed in the first link.

:<

:< It sure seems that way, either that, or someone snuk in during the night and switched the fish and he hasn't noticed? :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back