Pleco Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matthew12098

Reaction score
Just spotted this little guy. Is there anything I need to know about raising them? Last time I had pleco fry I only noticed by the time they were big enough to be moved to different tanks. Based on the size, how old do you reckon this one is? Its about 1-2cm long. Also would they be fine eating regular pleco food or do I need alternative food?
20200920_112908.jpg

It's hard for me to tell, and I've never seen a pleco fry up close, but that looks a lot like an otocinclus to me. Any possibility you've had one hiding out in your tank?

Assuming it really is a pleco fry, though, congratulations! I would think it would be find eating what the adults do, as long as it gets enough.

It's hard for me to tell, and I've never seen a pleco fry up close, but that looks a lot like an otocinclus to me. Any possibility you've had one hiding out in your tank?

Assuming it really is a pleco fry, though, congratulations! I would think it would be find eating what the adults do, as long as it gets enough.
I have 2 large plecos (about 6-8cm in length) that are in that tank which I was told that they were bristlenose plecos from the fish store, when I bought them ~2 years ago. They have produced one lot of fry about a year ago but only 4 survived to adulthood. One of my 2 original ones (which I have always assumed a male due to the larger spikes on his mouth/nose) went missing about a week or two ago, and I assumed that he had died but while I was cleaing today, I noticed him hiding in a decoration and that was when I spotted the fry on the rock next to where he was hiding. Should I put an extra pellet or two in to be sure that it gets enough food?

That's really cool. I've only kept single bn plecos, so I've never had them breed. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw in an extra pellet, but if your tank is mature and healthy enough that they're breeding, chances are good that the babies can find things to eat.

Your fry looks to be about 4 weeks old. About time for the parents to spawn again. They are cave spawners. That is why your male seems to be hiding. If they don't have a cave to spawn in the male will make one. He is probably tending another batch of eggs.

Sorry re read your discussion. We call them catfish not plecos, Plecos are something else. They are bristle nose babies. Well done.

Thought some of you may be interested in the fact that I just found another (at least) 14 eggs! Its hard to see in the photo but I counted 14 eggs with possibly more underneath the male

Attachments

• 20201010_174843.jpg
    20201010_174843.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 141

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back