Pleco eating my ozelot sword?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BMBLSAD

Reaction score
I just rec'd a shipment of plants yesterday that included ozelot swords. I put some in my goldfish tank and the rest in my community tank. Today, the ones in the community tank are full of little holes while the ones in the goldfish tank are not. Not at all what I expected :) The community tank has 8 harlequin rasboras, a BN pleco, a mystery snail and a nerite. The goldfish tank has 4 orandas, 2 mysteries and 2 nerites. So the unique ones in the community tank are the rasboras and the pleco. Would the pleco eat the plant? Can't imagine the rasboras doing this...

Thanks!
Beth

Attachments

• who ate my plant.jpg
    who ate my plant.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 90
all suckermouth catfish need plant matter and driftwood in their diet. if they don't get this, they eat plants.

I hope you have better luck with your mystery snails than I did. They went after my moneywort, jungle val and hornwort. They destroyed a new moneywort plant I just planted in a day leaving only the weight on the bottom and a few leaves floating.:mad: 3 out of 5 jungle vals gone and 1 and 1/2 hornwort plants destroyed.o_O I only had two golden mystery snails. Now they are in my bother-in-laws tank eating plastic plants.:lol:

all suckermouth catfish need plant matter and driftwood in their diet. if they don't get this, they eat plants.
Dang. I have driftwood and provide lots of fresh veggies. He has such a fat little belly. Was hoping it wasn't him. Back to my mantra: When reality smacks you in the face, adjust.

That was not caused by the BN. My money is on the mystery snail

That was not caused by the BN. My money is on the mystery snail
I agree with this, ive never seen a bristlenose pleco or any pleco eat a plant in the tank. Where as ive never seen a mystery snail not eat a plant.
Likely culprit is the mystery they dont belong in planted tanks unless you provide the plants as mystery snail food.

Mystery snail is no mystery to me. They also go for roots of ALL the epiphytic plants like Java and Bolbitis,Anubias.
The only BN that would do that is if the leaf was decaying...they go for the soft blanched like rotting parts of the leaf...sort of doing you a favor cleaning the wound. Snails MAKE the wound-lol.

Most reactions

Back