Pleco Appreciation Thread

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This may be my new favorite thread! I LOVE plecos! Adorable pond puppies! Lol ?
Here are pics of my two, a tiny baby rubber lipped pleco and my big common. Their names are Astro and Dino lol. Astro is only a few months old and maybe 2 inches, Dino is a rescue and over 2 years old and is maybe 8 inches. Photos do not do justice, Astro is the riches and prettiest dark chocolate brown shade with coppery fins and Dino is almost jet black.
Your lipped pleco is nice ! What's the color on the tip of is tail? Orange? :)

@Pidge1992 what kind of substrat do you use? Is it regular black gravel? Looks like smaller than regular.
Looking good !

This may be my new favorite thread! I LOVE plecos! Adorable pond puppies! Lol ?
Here are pics of my two, a tiny baby rubber lipped pleco and my big common. Their names are Astro and Dino lol. Astro is only a few months old and maybe 2 inches, Dino is a rescue and over 2 years old and is maybe 8 inches. Photos do not do justice, Astro is the riches and prettiest dark chocolate brown shade with coppery fins and Dino is almost jet black.
Wow, they're both so gorgeous!! And I love that name - "pond puppies"!!

Your lipped pleco is nice ! What's the color on the tip of is tail? Orange? :)

@Pidge1992 what kind of substrat do you use? Is it regular black gravel? Looks like smaller than regular.
Looking good !
Yes! His tail and fins are tipped in an orange/copper color. As for the substrate it’s actually black aquarium sand because I also keep yo-yo loaches and they prefer sand.

Posted with permission, my friends sailfin pleco that lives in our lobby tank at work. He’s gorgeous ❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• D652E775-25BF-4E12-A015-702392D999DF.jpeg
    D652E775-25BF-4E12-A015-702392D999DF.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 85
My king tiger aka jagger is settling in nicely, I now even sometimes see him in the early evening, ive turned the light down to blue at 7 before it goes off at 9

Attachments

• 20210403_182032.jpg
    20210403_182032.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 72
Beautiful! He looks sort of like a sterbai cory!
I have 2 of those too haha ? heres a better picture of him, he's fast though so its hard to get a picture....when he eventually shows his face I dont like to pester him with trying to get a picture

Attachments

• 20210310_115444.jpg
    20210310_115444.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 70
Beautiful! He looks sort of like a

Beautiful! He looks sort of like a sterbai cory!
Here is a picture of them both together from tonight's feeding time. Plec munching on bug bites and Cory on a garlic and mealworm tab...they know as soon as I lift lid up or jagger smells the garlic and he comes straight out when I put them in for dinner.

Attachments

• 20210405_191004.jpg
    20210405_191004.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210405_190901.jpg
    20210405_190901.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 73
Here is a picture of them both together from tonight's feeding time. Plec munching on bug bites and Cory on a garlic and mealworm tab...they know as soon as I lift lid up or jagger smells the garlic and he comes straight out when I put them in for dinner.
Love the corys... Sweet little whiskers...
Does your plec hog all the wafers/tabs/pellets? My sailfin sits on the algae wafers I put in and swims away with it sucked up against his mouth! Greedy little so-and-so.

Love the corys... Sweet little whiskers...
Does your plec hog all the wafers/tabs/pellets? My sailfin sits on the algae wafers I put in and swims away with it sucked up against his mouth! Greedy little so-and-so.
Hes sitting on the bug bite so no one else can get it....he hasn't swam away with one yet though...thats funny.
I'm glad he doesn't swim off with it, only time I see him is when I'm feeding him haha he's such a user

Hes not interested in my algae tabs, he's carnivorous so just swims past them

Hes sitting on the bug bite so no one else can get it....he hasn't swam away with one yet though...thats funny.
I'm glad he doesn't swim off with it, only time I see him is when I'm feeding him haha he's such a user

Hes not interested in my algae tabs, he's carnivorous so just swims past them
It's astonishing how plecs are sold by (bad) shops labelled as "algae eaters" or worker fish when they're really just self-serving little buttholes who steal all the food in the tank!
But I love them all the same!

It's astonishing how plecs are sold by (bad) shops labelled as "algae eaters" or worker fish when they're really just self-serving little buttholes who steal all the food in the tank!
But I love them all the same!
Hahahaha 100% I dont understand people who don't like them.
My snails and cory clean the tank more than my pleco but hes the whole reason I got the tank, love them.
They get a bad name, like you said LFS and old wives tales about eating algae so people get them and are the disappointed or they get a cheap common one that grows 2 ft haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back