Plec for 55L tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chemflex

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've got hairy aglae in my tank -_-

I need a plec to clean it as my CAE isn't doing anythin :angry:

I can't find anywhere that ottos, any other suggestions - quick?

if u want a plec for algae get some bristlenose plec! they will keep the algae under control!

That's the problem with algae, you can't always rely on a fish wanting to eat the stuff!!
Where abouts are you from (US/UK,county etc)? Is the tank lit artificially or by natural light? Is it near a window? You could be treating the symptom and not the problem! Even Bristlenoses/Otos, which are great Algae eating machines, may not want to eat your algae. If a CAE won't, then I doubt a Bristlenose will. Tell us a bit more about your tank, how long it has been set up, water perameters and maintainance (how often water changes, how much, and how long light is on for etc). That would hopefully give us something to go on... :)

I actually have 3 tanks, no algae present in any of the other though.

1. I'm from the UK
2. The tank is lit by an aqua-glow light, it's on for 12 hours a day.
3. It's not near a window.
4. The tank's been set up for 4.5 months.
5. Ammonia and Nitirte = 0, pH 7.0, Nitrate between 12.5mg/l and 25mg/l.
6. I change 25% of the water on a weekly basis.

If its black hair algae growing in your tank i doubt plecos will help much, the only fish i know of that eats this type is the siamese flying fox(sometimes known as the siamese algae eater).A couple of these little guys should control the problem if not cutting the lighting down to 8 to 10 hours would be help(providing your plants will allow for it).

55 L tank so what dimensions is that! 36x 12x15 bigger smaller, i hate L and G dimensions sorry old school i prefer inches and feet then i know what i am dealing with :lol: :lol:

u dont like bristlesnoses! crumbs :-( :-(

what kinda filtration using, hwo many lights waht wattage? got any pics!

Gibbo hit the nail on the head treat the problem not the sympton. good luck anyhow!

The tank is 24x12x15

I have a clearjet 3 filter with a venturi.

I have one light and the wattage is 15w.

I haven't uploaded any pics because I have a breeding tank fixed in the tank so would spoil the appearance at prsent.

if you want a plec for that size tank dont get a gibbiceps., you can put in a L002 or even a clown plec or 3 , a zebra plec ( meatie eater) butterfly plec, you will need small plecs as most of the plecs are larger ones will out grow ur tank real quick, unless u have a large tank!

hope u got a tank at least 42x18x18 for him/her! cos they do get about 18 inches or so mine is 11.5 inches! :D

always read about your chosen plec or catfish member as some get real big! ask us or look on the web! always here to help!

if you have not got a big tank then take Gibby back and get sometime else! :-(

The shop I got him from said, fi the tank was well stocked he wouldn't grow too much...was this a lie?

I might take him back to a different pet shop and see if they will exchange him for a smaller plec.

I realy like the zebra plec, but I don't think I'll be able to get one.

Are plecs good at getting rid of hairy algae?

they will grow no matter. they will outgrow ur tank, example, girraffe catfish, red tail catfish, gibbiceps, some other plecs that reach 24 inches.... soem eels, soem oddballs, then theres oscars, etc they grow big! best to ask lots of questions! and ask how big or small they get! most lfs dont display size charts in my opinion on how big they can get in ur tanks! which i feel is wrong any good fish will tell u the facts and then let u decide. some lfs thou will want to sell u anything! regradless of ur tank size or the inhabitant size.

hope gibby fionds a good home! very nice plec thou! beauty when the sail is up and showing it off! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back