Plec Does Not Eat On The Glass?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Squeaky Leekus

Reaction score
Hi All, any thoughts on this please
I have a plec (not sure what kind she is sorry she was inherited) she only seems to lie on/under the bogwood and does not go on the glass at all so i have a lot of algae on the glass.
I have had her for a few months now should i clean it off or leave it incase she changes her mind?
I have tried her with veg and she isnt interested so have ordered some wafers but she looks healthy enough.
thank you x

Pleco's won't eat every type of algae- its better to identify the type of algae and deal with its root cause than to buy a fish and hope it sorts out the problem. This link is good for ID'ing & sorting out algae problems :) ;

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

How long has the pleco been in the tank for? If its new then it could take it weeks to settle down properly. Just make sure it has plenty of fresh food (also removing any food it doesn't eat so it doesn't go bad in the tank), plenty of cover and keep an eye on its health & weight in general. If it has an internal bacterial or parasitic infection then this will cause its weight to go down a lot (particularly around its stomach area) etc.

Not all Plecs will eat algae. Even Bristle Noses. I have had some that weren't interested in the algae at all.

I find my bulldog/Chaetostoma to be much better algae eaters.

Thanks everyone i had not even considered she might not eat algae, i will get her some wafers and try some bloodworms today.
I tried an apple last night and she was not interested at all, she didnt like the cucumber last week so hopefully she is eating something. Had her a few months i have lots of hiding places under plants and the wood is huge like a cave so she seems happy enough. The glass is green so i will clean it all off today and leave one side just in case!
I will keep an eye on her weight incase she is not healthy thank you very much for the advice x

i have a medium comon pleco and he sucks on the my glass but dose not eat the algae :) you should supplement his diet with algae wafers or even cucumber/courgette :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back