Please Tell Me This Is The Right Aproach

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

radioman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok so I have green water which means floating algae, I forget the name. So what I did is put black trash bags all over my aquarium so no light will get in. This in turn should kill the algae, correct. So my question is how long should I leave it covered. The infestation is not horrible but iI did a large water change yesterday and it was green today so it is progressing. Also will this harm my plants. Lastly I have a pregnant platy who is giving birth will the fry be ok in the darkness?
Thanks, Mike

I believe with the green water the way your going about it is correct.
I think its 1 week with no light...
The babies tho I couldn't comment on I'm not to sure.. ( i don't see why it would be a problem)

you need to find the underlying problem with whats causing the bloom.

are you close to a window with real light source?

72 hours is the normal blackout period for green water as far as I recall.

Ya I had my blinds open that is what caused it I think that I might do 2 to 2 and a half because I have some plants that need light like HC

If you do a blackout it is not worth doing it unless you do it for long enough - the plants should be fine.

From -

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

"Description This is a unicellular algae. Water goes cloudy. Sometimes just a green tint, other times it can look like pea soup.

Cause Ammonia will cause green water. There may have been an ammonia spike that isn't detected with test kits. Other possible causes are an imbalance of nutrients.

Removal Large water changes do not seem to always help. There is an imbalance in nutrients so fixing it will sometimes make it go away by itself after a while. A three day blackout followed by a large water change will hit it hard and sometimes may clear it. A UV steriliser/clarifier or diatom filter will clear it up very quickly and is often the only way to clear it.
A new method is to use freshly cut 1-2 year old willow branches about 0.5-1cm in width. Place these in your tank vertically so they go from the substrate to a few centimeters above the water's surface. After a few days they will start to grow roots and the green water should start to clear. When cleared remove the branches from the water.
Don't confuse this with a bacterial bloom which gives the water a white haze."

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back