Please Put My Mind At Rest! Redness On Zebra Danio

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've noticed last night & this morning that 1 of my 6 Zebra Danios has red patches on him - they are only pinprick size, but are at the base of each of the 4 fins underneath him where they meetb the body - I can't see this on the others but he appears to be fine - still eating like a machine & not being harassed by the others or anything out of the ordinary. I have tried to get pictures but the little sods don't stay still long enough :lol: . Is this a normal thing or should I treat them with something just in case it's the start of something? They are a bit 'podgy' but I've just put some peas in & they've gobbled them up so I'm hoping it's a bit of constipation & the peas will sort them out. All water parameters are fine - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite & 5 ppm nitrate, temp at 24, pH around 7.5 - 8. Any suggestions will be much appreciated :good: .
Current inhabitants of my 90L tank are:
1 Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlid
6 Zebra Danios
3 Harlequin Rasbora
Filtration is 1 Fluval 3+ internal & I've had a Tetratec 600 external running for over 2 weeks so hopefully that should be kicking in soon.
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Small red pin prick marks can be septicemia to parasites.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing if not I would treat it as bacterial.
Is the fish scales sticking out.

Small red pin prick marks can be septicemia to parasites.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing if not I would treat it as bacterial.
Is the fish scales sticking out.

Thanks Wilder,
There's no flicking or rubbing at all - they're as 'normal' as Zebs get :lol: . I already have interpret no.9 - would that be ok or would I be better off with something like Maracyn? There are no cories in there at the moment so should I use the salt as well? (I am gettiing cories once the tank is sorted though).

No salt.
I would add the maracyn. Is it maracyn one or two.
Maracyn can knock water stats but it is a good med.

You really need maracyn 2 for septicemia.

Maracyn-Two is primarily effective against gram-negative pathogenic bacterial diseases of fish. Symptoms of clamped fins, general listlessness, not eating or other unusual behavior can be caused by internal infections and treatment with Maracyn-Two would be indicated. Maracyn-Two is recommended for the treatment of Popeye, gill disease, fin rot and tail rot, dropsy (swollen body, protruding scales), Septicemia (bleeding or red streaks on body), secondary and internal infections. All suspected bacterial infections should be treated immediately.

Active Ingredients: Each tablet/powder packet contains 10 mg minocycline activity.

okey dokey - Maracyn it is :D I'll grab some on the way home - thanks again Wilder :D

Can you buy maracyn at the lfs. Its an american med and not available in the uk.
Though some members have ordered it online.

Can you buy maracyn at the lfs. Its an american med and not available in the uk.
Though some members have ordered it online.
:lol: that explains why the bloke at the LFS had no idea what I was talking about!!! Is there anything similar in the UK? If not, there's some for sale on eBay that I can buy...

Not similar no.
There is anti internal bacteria med by interpet, but maracyn a better med.

Not similar no.
There is anti internal bacteria med by interpet, but maracyn a better med.

I've already got the interpret one - I'll see how long they reckon for delivery then I might use that one first while I'm no doubt waiting lol. The good thing at the moment is that they all seem fine so hopefully I can catch it early enough...

Need to get treating fast as septicemia hard to cure once it advances.
Good Luck.

Need to get treating fast as septicemia hard to cure once it advances.
Good Luck.
Got the Interpret in yesterday & ordered some Maracyn off eBay - think I got a really good deal tbh, £15 for 2 x 24 boxes including P&P!!! - do I need to run carbon again between treating with Interpret & Maracyn or will waiting a week between treatments & water changing every day do the trick?

Most reactions

trending

Back