PLEASE NEED ADVICE IMMEDIATELY

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sarahdiels

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got a 3 gallon cube tank. In this tank I had a female betta, 2 peacock gudgeons, and 5 celestial pearl danios. They all seemed to live with no territorial issues for a few weeks, but then I noticed the betta started chasing the danios. I saw that the danios had their fins nipped (only the males) so I removed the betta from the tank and have her in a temporary quarentine tank. But now (a few days later) all the danios tails are nipped (which they weren't before) so the betta was not the culprit. I have her set to be given away but I really don't want to if I don't have to because I love her so much. I read a lot about all these fish before I got them but none of them said anything about these danios fin nipping. Any advice or suggestions please. Tank information: 3.7 gallon. 78° ammonia 0ppm Nitrites: 0ppm nitrates: 5ppm pH 6.6

The CPDs are aggressive to each other because there are too few of them and not enough places to hide in a tank that is too small. I'm afraid that is to be expected.
The reason you had no issues initially was becasue they were still stressed from being moved and getting used to the new environment - this happens with most fish.
Just FWIW bettas should be kept on their own with no other fish in the tank.

I agree with all the others. The tank you have is simply to small, sorry... :(

Pretty much the only fish you could humanly keep in a 3g, is a betta fish. If you wanted to, a snail/shrimp tank.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with what many others have already stated on this thread. That is, your tank is overstocked.

As for the fish you should have, I'd say maybe just keep the betta on it's own. Though to be honest, if it was me, I'd still be looking for a larger tank so that the betta would feel comfortable in it's home. If you want her to be content it would definitely help to have more space available.

Failing that, you could always opt for a shrimp tank, or even a tank for snails.

If you do decide to upgrade the size of your tank, keep hold of the 3 gallon, they make good quarantine tanks, fry tanks or even food tanks.

As for the deaths, I'd probably say it was an attack of some discription, but I am no expert. My advice would be to downsize the fish you have stocked, and keeping a close eye out on to who the culprit of the fin nipping is (I have a sneaky suspicion it's the danio's themselves).

Best of luck, make sure you keep us updated :)

I agree with everyone else. Your tank is much too small for the fish you have. You should rehome them all except for the betta. Also, I would see about getting her at least a 5 gallon tank. She will be much happier with more space, and a bigger tank will be easier to maintain.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back