Please Mr Postman (or Please Ms Postwoman)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Spring is here, the days are warm and the night are above 10c. Last Tuesday, a killifish breeder in Central Europe mailed me some Aphyosemion ocellatum killie eggs. It's a species and colour form I kept 25 years ago, and its beauty has stuck in my mind. Today, arrival is possible, and I'm watching the mail!

Now that I'm older, wiser and more skilled (I hope) I think I might be able to keep them for more than the 2 generations I did then. I was a killie consumer back then, determined to try all kinds of different species. With time, I I have kind of settled into knowing what I want to see when I go to my tank area.

You have to be resourceful to find killies, as the more interesting species can't be mass produced, and the fish industry doesn't like that. It's hard to turn a profit on a fish that produce 2 or 3 babies every day for a few weeks, then takes a vacation from the kids.

Buying killie eggs by mail is something easy to do if you're outside Australia or the USA. It's a form of online gambling, as the mail is a harsh environment that kills a certain percentage of the eggs you purchase. Sometimes, it kills them all. I've mailed myself perfectly good eggs, and had one in four hatch after their travels. But for me, it works to a point 80% of the time. You then are never guaranteed big numbers - 30 eggs can give 5, 10, 30 or 50 fry (killiekeepers count badly). The fry can turn out to be all one sex, and ruin your breeding plans. But most of the time, it works out well and you have a new species to breed and enjoy.

All the fish below came my way as eggs: Chromaphyosemion biteniatum Lagos Red from Spain, Aphyosemion elberti from the US, A striatum from the Czech Republic and A exigoideum from France.

Where I live is not exactly a rare tropical fish hotspot, but people like me in places like this have been receiving rarities as eggs in the mail for close to 100 years now. It's a weird old little sideroad in this hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 68
  • A bualanum N'Gorro (640x474) (2).jpg
    A bualanum N'Gorro (640x474) (2).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 65
  • A. striatum 1.JPG
    A. striatum 1.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 66
  • exigoideum 006 (640x358).jpg
    exigoideum 006 (640x358).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 64
Very nice acquisitions, Gary. With the new killies that you got in the mail, I hope you are successful with them. Just like you, I have been getting some new killies, but not as eggs, but rather in pairs. My recent acquisitions are Fundulopanchax gardneri, Fundulopanchax amieti, and Aphyosemion (Chromaphyosemion) koungueense 'Ndonga'. Just a few days ago, one of my friends messaged me with a list of killies that he could get for me. Hopefully, he can order Aphyosemion exigoideum, Aphyosemion elberti Matapit JVC 05 Blue, Aphyosemion sp. Massemb Loubaki RC 2016-23, and Fundulopanchax mamfensis Basua for me.

Excellent ! Yes, you are quite correct , Killifish are indeed a weird little side road in our glorious hobby. It is a road that I have only stepped gingerly upon til now but hope to rush headlong down. Your pictures are stunning. What beautiful fish ! The Aphyosemion bittaeniatum is particularly splendid.

cool! im looking for some small peaceful killlifish in a community tank, maybe panchax
i am not good with hatching eggs so ill have to search the fish stores!

Hopefully your postal service is better than ours now. Due to covid, it takes 3-4 weeks to get a letter from the same town, longer if it comes from the other side of the country. It's fuplie ridiculous.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back