Please Identify These Tetras That I Bought

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wendywc

Rocking a crabshell for a hat.
Reaction score
So I went to my LFS with my husband and we spotted these "glo-lite tetras" (according to the label on the tank). My husband liked their color and wanted them. I'm new to community tanks and I didn't realize they weren't glowlights until I looked them up when we got home.

So does anyone know what they are? The 5 we have stay pretty well together in the mid to upper tank mostly. They like to skim the top during feeding time. They are bright pink flourescent in color and have 5 white stripes. The stripe in the middle is the thickest and then the stripes get thinner and thinner as they go out. Whatever they are, they have been doing well with our tank, at least, and they're gorgeous. :wub:

Excuse the flash on the first pic. They are so fast to take a perfect picture of.
fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

hi again wendy very pretty fish i cant find them in my fish book,ive got two glow lights and they are a gold colour,glow lights grow to around two inch,interesting fish of yours though :fish: .

they look like a dyed version of a danio but hopefully someone can give more information

definately not glowlight tetras... nice though...

I hope they are not dyed. :sad:

That happened to me a few years ago when I first started with loaches. I wasn't until later that I realized that 3 of my botia modestas were dyed. One body dyed red and two blue. Of course in retrospect, I should have realized because their color seemed off and blotchy. Plus, the dyes did eventually fade away after a few months.

Whereas, these "tetras" have a smooth color of pink all around. I've had them for a week now.

Not sure of what kind of fish it is but its definatly a dye injected fish and it could die from the stress it endured from being poked with a needle.

No they aren't dyed. :no:

I've seen these for sale and they are infact an red albino form of that old fav the zebra danio.There is also a long finned form of the same fish.I thought them very pretty but afraid there isn't enough of a current flow in my tank to suit them.

yeah i agree with the posts above. it looks identicle to my long finned danios (which don't really have very long fins for some reason! lol) i hope it isn't a dyed fish because they have genetically modified danios to glow but they are pink. not sure though.

Genetically-made pink glowing danios?? Thanks for the replys so far everyone.

After looking closer, they do have the body shape and upturned mouth of a danio with white stripes and yellowish fins.

Stevie where did you see these red albino danios?

they are called "glo-fish" they have been genetically altered to have that color. its not the same process as dying, and seems to have no adverse effect on the fish. they were actually created for a water treatment plant, they origionally turned from red to green in bad water quality, dont know if they do now or not though. just google glo-fish, you should find what you need to know.

Oh my god, you guys are right. I just went to the gloFish webpage; that's so wild. It's what I have, alright.

I'm breaking out the blacklight tonight! B)

I'm in the UK and saw them some time ago.The shop selling them won't stock dyed fish.When i asked about them i was told they were an albino form but not as bomb proof as the ordinary form.
They are probably a sport of the original zebra danio and line bred to increase the colour.In much the same way as the long finned and very long finned strains have been bred.

ah good. i was about to say thats what they were. never seen them in person, those fish. too bad, i love danios!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back