Please identify these rasboras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Carly92

Reaction score
Bought these guys at a lfs as harlequin rasbora, is that what they are? If so will they color up as they get older?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20180304_144253.jpg
    20180304_144253.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 301
  • 20180304_144319.jpg
    20180304_144319.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 289
it's hard to tell as the fish look young and very thin, they need feeding up, and need time to colour up, could be hengeli, espei, or heteromorpha, couldn't say which right now.

it's hard to tell as the fish look young and very thin, they need feeding up, and need time to colour up, could be hengeli, espei, or heteromorpha, couldn't say which right now.

Ok thanks. They are very thin, i will give them some time and lots of good food and see how they go.

The shape of the black patch is the Harlequin, Trigonostigma heteromorpha.

The shape of the black patch is the Harlequin, Trigonostigma heteromorpha.
i would be hesitant to give that as a identification just because the fish are so stressed and not fed well, the propper colouration can take a while to come out on these fish, my initial thought was Hets too, but the elongation on the thinnest edge of the black patch is throwing me off because mine do not have anywhere near that same shape, would be interesting to see some pictures of them settled in.

i would be hesitant to give that as a identification just because the fish are so stressed and not fed well, the propper colouration can take a while to come out on these fish, my initial thought was Hets too, but the elongation on the thinnest edge of the black patch is throwing me off because mine do not have anywhere near that same shape, would be interesting to see some pictures of them settled in.

I agree on the colouration and general appearance, but the black patch is distinctive. One might expect such a marking to become more distinctive and larger post-stress, but not the opposite, and the width and shape now clearly visible is of the T. heteromorpha. Photos below of the three species will illustrate.

Attachments

• Trigonostigma espei2.jpg
    Trigonostigma espei2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 258
  • Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpg
    Trigonostigma hengeli1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Trigonostigma heteromorpha1.jpg
    Trigonostigma heteromorpha1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 260
my thinking was they could be hengeli but the orange colouration has dropped out, they also look quite young, but my initial thought was Hets.

I will definately update once they settle in and put some weight on, i just went and got 5 more from the same place, i thought a group of at least 10 would help them feel more comfortable. I will get 5 or 10 more once i know exactly what they are.

Looking a little better already. I think they may be harlequins.

Attachments

• 20180305_133546.jpg
    20180305_133546.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 223
There is one that is thinner than the rest and his black patch is a little different and he hangs out on his own, i think he may be a hengeli mixed in with the harleys but i guess we will see as they marure.

The fish in the second photo is sick, I dont know whats wrong with it but I had a similar thing happen with a Harlequin Rasbora and it died, shortly after I lost another then another in the end 14 out of 15 died.

The fish in the second photo is sick, I dont know whats wrong with it but I had a similar thing happen with a Harlequin Rasbora and it died, shortly after I lost another then another in the end 14 out of 15 died.

Oh no sorry to hear, they really dont look great do they? But they are acting fairly normal so hopefully they will pull through. Normally my lfs has really healthy fish, these guys are the worst i have seen, i thought they wer just young but honestly they look starved. Poor buggas

Some TLC should do wonders with these guys, i don't think they are too far gone by any means, i have had rasboras become emaciated and oddly shaped in the past and if they don't react to regular feeding it is really a death sentence, usually it only affected 1 of my group though and not the rest of the fish.

Some TLC should do wonders with these guys, i don't think they are too far gone by any means, i have had rasboras become emaciated and oddly shaped in the past and if they don't react to regular feeding it is really a death sentence, usually it only affected 1 of my group though and not the rest of the fish.

Thank you for your replies, very much appreciated. They are definitely looking much better and no deaths or concerning behavior yet. I will update in a couple of weeks when they have had time to come good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back