Please Identify These Catfish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MissKitty

Reaction score
hello all,

Could you please help my partner by identifying these catfish?

He was told they were bottom feeders and safe to live with his other fish when he bought them, but we're pretty definate they're eating his smaller fish, they were actually sold to us with a guppie, which we're definate they have since eaten (along with several other guppies).

Could someone please tell us what they are and give any correct information about them?

Thanks

Kitty

DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

this is certainly one of these catfish that you should keep "home alone" as it is a voracious predator when it starts growing from the small cute catfish that you bought from the local fish shop to the fast growing predator that you see before your eyes

There is a few varieties of Clarias batrachus, the normal coloured which is a slate grey to olive colouration with a white underbelly and an albino variation which unusual to most fish species, occurs in nature. The albino is of course white all over with red eye's. Another much prettier one is is the above image, piebald/pink, and has normal eye's.

It received its common name of the 'Walking Catfish' on its ability to walk overland from pond to pond when their original habitat dries up or after a heavy rainfall. They possess a much reduced air-bladder and their gills are stiffened to prevent their collapse when out of water and in a special part of the gill chamber are spongy arborecent (tree-like) organs growing from the upper ends of the gill arches. These and the skin surrounding them, are well supplied with blood vessels and operate efficiently in water lacking in oxygen or when the fish is out of water. They of course keep their gills closed when out of water and as long as their body is kept moist they can stay on land for a considerable length of time

Their distinguishing features are of course its long dorsal fin ( 62-77 rays) without a spine and its long anal fin (45-63 rays). Both these fins usually have a break before the small rounded caudal fin but sometimes in odd specimens the fins of the dorsal and anal fuse to the caudal. Its pectoral spines are very strong ( 1 spine 8-11 rays) especially the leading spine which of course helps its odd lifestyle of moving about on dry land. It possess 4 pair of barbels, one pair of nasal, one pair of maxillary and two pairs of mandibular barbels

It is native to Southeastern Asia but was brought into the U.S. in the 1960's for fish farming and it was out of one of these farms in Florida in the mid 60's that the first escape occurred and the first catch of this fish was by an angler on the 15th March 1967. The first escapees originated from wild stock which was exported from Thailand. It is a threat to the native fish populations in the Florida and Gulf of Mexico areas and the only enemy of this fish (apart from the anglers) is if there is a very cold winter and they can not survive the long cold spell.

As mentioned at the start of this factsheet, they are predators and very good escape artists as well so if you do fancy keeping them a tight lid is essential with large hiding places, a soft bottom ( sand or rounded gravel) and of course a large tank of 4ft or larger and outside filtration.

The male of this species is usually more colourful than the female with a dark spot on the rear of the dorsal fin, the female does not possess this. This of course relates to the normal variety and I'm not sure if this could be applied to the albino, but the larger girth of the female in breeding condition would set them apart

found this info for you they are defo albino walking catfish i was looking at 1 yesterday in my lfs thats how i knew what to research hope this helps you out

oh god...

that's the last time I ever, ever listen to a pet shop owner. Ever.

I can't believe he that blatently lied to us!

That is definately the same fish, I just google it...

Do you know how big they get at full size? Or how fast they grow to full size? It can't be that big if they can live in a 4ft tank?

thank you for the information jacko

oh god...

Do you know how big they get at full size? Or how fast they grow to full size? It can't be that big if they can live in a 4ft tank?

they can easily reach 50cm+ and for a pair you would need more like an 8ft tank
if i were you i would re home atleast 1 of them or take them back to your lfs

Thanks, i just google searched and most that i read agree they grow to an average of 25-30cm, maximum about 50cm.
I'll give my partner all the information and let him decide as they are his fish, but i've got a feeling he'll probably keep them and buy a large tank. They've been evicted to a 2ft for the time being. I just wish the pet shop guy would have been more honest, or atleast known about what he was selling!

thank you very much, they are gorgeous fish

Thanks, i just google searched and most that i read agree they grow to an average of 25-30cm, maximum about 50cm.
I'll give my partner all the information and let him decide as they are his fish, but i've got a feeling he'll probably keep them and buy a large tank. They've been evicted to a 2ft for the time being. I just wish the pet shop guy would have been more honest, or atleast known about what he was selling!

i agree they are a great looking fish and if you can give them a big enough home then keep them and enjoy them
just remember they eat as much fish as captain birdseye lol

i agree they are a great looking fish and if you can give them a big enough home then keep them and enjoy them

lol, we already realised that one! all they do is eat, and swim very fast, and tear up all the plants... and eat the guppies...

lol, we already realised that one! all they do is eat, and swim very fast, and tear up all the plants... and eat the guppies...
so how did your partner take the news then is it time for a big tank

It went along the lines of "oh ok, i guess that isn't too bad a size for a catfish". But he's already named them and refuses to give them up, so bigger tanks it is then... oh dears! They are lovely though, i'd have been sad to see them go. Should be funny getting a tank, somehow I think 2 4foots would be easier (and cheaper) to aquire than an 8ft!

EDIT: what are you doing awake at this time in the morning?! I presumed you where from the US or something! just noticed your from the uk

LOL @ Bristlenose! Definitely not them.

Clarias is spot on.

A 6x2x2 tank will be fine for them.

They are active and interesting to watch (I had 3 a while back all over 12") they will grow VERY fast probably reach 12" within about 8-10 months.

I kept mine with other big fish but they will not tolerate other bottom dwellers.

It went along the lines of "oh ok, i guess that isn't too bad a size for a catfish". But he's already named them and refuses to give them up, so bigger tanks it is then... oh dears! They are lovely though, i'd have been sad to see them go. Should be funny getting a tank, somehow I think 2 4foots would be easier (and cheaper) to aquire than an 8ft!

EDIT: what are you doing awake at this time in the morning?! I presumed you where from the US or something! just noticed your from the uk
lol just watching the winter olympics

oh god...

it happened to me too. had to euthanise the fish. these things can live in wet sacks!. and grow like "Vietnamese house plants". it went to 9 inches in 6 months, from 2.

Man that is bad! I really really hate it when we see stuff like this, I just feel lucky it never happened to me because it could happen to anyone the shop keeper just needs to earn a false sense of trust with you and your buggered.

If you have a look on aquarist classifieds I believe there is someone in your area that rehomes large fish. Also there is a member on here from the wirral that has a penchant for larger fish dont know if he will be interested in them, dont know if you know him or not.

Wills

TBH and not wanting to sound a complete *****, but simply don't buy ANY fish you don't know. Always always always research a fish before you buy it. This way you don't end up with a shocker and you'll have happy fish.

Please watch your language! This is a family forum.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back