Please id this fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry Anna the picture is not displayied.

Tip. You have made to url of the picture on your hard drive. You need to upload the picture to the same file as the index.htm file and link the page to the picture. ;)

Davy Reynolds said:
Sorry Anna the picture is not displayied.
Oops! I see my mistake. Sorry, I was too much in a hurry. It should be working now. :blush:

hi Anna,

I think its a two-lined pencilfish, Nannostomus bifasciatus. I've looked in a book I've recently got and it (to me) looks like the two-lined pencilfish :) do bare in mind I'm no an expert, a nice drawing by the way :)

hope this helps

Duncan

Dunc what picture were you looking at :laugh: Sorry mate but I can only count one line. :blush: Come one m8 if your wanting slagged thats to easy. Okay you were on the right line and we know your expanding your knowledge. Just be lucky it were me and not AdeyC posting this.

If anything Anna it's a one-linned pencil fish. But it could be a Nannostomus beckfordi Golden pencilfish or
Nannostomus harrisoni Harrison's Pencilfish

The single doesnt have the read. both the other do, but the Harrisons is a bit more silvery on the body 8)

lol I'll make the appointment for opticians tomorrow :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll go with Davy's suggestion :D

Duncan

You can but it aint. it's got an anal fin so that rulles the algae eater out but very good try it looks similar to the pic.
It could be a Nannostomus unifasciatus( is this another thats had it's name changed?) but I don't know of any with the red.
It looks more like a one striped Striped head stander Anostomus anostomus so I'll put the boat out and say it is

Davy it's not me that does all the slagging in here. You have noticed that two members are missing and things apear a lot more sensible than usual. Anyway if I'd been drinking I might have thought it was a two lined pencil fish

heres a pic of the stripped headstander.
Anostomus_anostomus.jpg

:laugh: Ade, you need glasses more than Duncan!!! Headstander it ain't, pencilfish yes, I'm going with Davy on this one. Anna I think it will probably be beckfordi as it is more commonly available. ;) Mac.

gadazobe said:
Could it possibly be a SAE - Siamese Algae Eater?   :look:
It doesn't actually eat algae, and in fact I think it's a carnivore so that seems unlikely. Sorry! :look:

I know it aint a headstander. Mac It's the shape I was displaying not the colouring. lol Just poining out the difference to those that may want to know.  :laugh:
Anyway I just got new glasses and the work fine although I should start wearing them. :laugh:
BTW I've never seen a one striped headstander just the normal stripped ones.

Update:

I saw some pencilfish in a LFS today. They were babies, but they looked very similar, complete with red flashes under the tail. The shop owner said they were a popular colour morph of the Beckford's Golden Pencilfish.

So, there you are :grin: Mystery solved!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back