Please ID these plants?...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Strmwrng

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Morning all!
So I found an aquarium store in the next county over, ! They traded me the Jungle Val I rcvd from EBay for these 3 plants, but (of course) couldnā€™t tell me anything about them. Hoping these will be better in my little 5 gal tank? Thanks!

Attachments

• D6B8861E-8EB2-40CF-9B4E-701B1A8F01D6.jpeg
    D6B8861E-8EB2-40CF-9B4E-701B1A8F01D6.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 53A3E2F4-220E-4138-8D72-10179327BB6B.jpeg
    53A3E2F4-220E-4138-8D72-10179327BB6B.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 317086CA-D1B4-408A-9B26-F9FC38588AE8.jpeg
    317086CA-D1B4-408A-9B26-F9FC38588AE8.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 107
Donā€™t really recognise any of those plants in the photos though the last one looks a little familiar but not really anything I know of or have had before.

Sorry, donā€™t think these are aquatic plants, meaning may possibly be semi aquatic where leaves have to be above water surface and roots in the water or could just simply be house plants sold as aquatic plants, not unknown for LFS to do this especially if the LFS is based in a garden centre.

Iā€™ve fallen for this myself in the past with dracenae house plants believing that LFS only sells proper aquatic plants! Silly me, was a newbie at the time :rolleyes:

The third one looks a little like pothos, or perhaps a waterlily, but if it's a waterlily, it isn't the aquarium types that I know, that grow from bulbs. @NCaquatics and @EllRog I know you guys have pothos plants, any ideas?

1st plant is purple waffle, a garden plant that rots within 2 weeks of being put underwater.
2nd plant, no idea but it looks terrestrial.
3rd plant is a syngonium, another garden plant that does well in a pot but not in water.

If you want plants that do well underwater, look for Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma and H. ruba/ rubra, Eldodia (but not in winter coz it falls apart when going from cold to warm), Hydrilla, narrow Vallis and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

The water sprite floats but can also be plants in the substrate. The other plants are grown in the gravel.

Dang, I'm sorry OP, you haven't had much luck with getting aquarium plants!

2nd one looks a bit like Proserpinaca palustris (mermaid weed)

Well crap! I donā€™t doubt any of your opinions, looks like I was taken in by the nice little old lady. They were floating in a tank in her store and I traded her my Jungle Val for them. Frustrating, but lessons well learned. Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate your help!:nod:

Yeah, sorry :/

This was a lesson I learned too and just simply had to accept it and move on.

But it was a good lesson to learn though, made me be much more aware of what am putting into my tank and that actually helped me be a bit better at choosing the correct plants for my particular tank set up.

We all make mistakes from time to time, best thing to do is to learn from them. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back