Please Id These Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Please could someone have a look at this pic and give me the names of the plant to the far left at the back, the one to the right of it also at the back and finally the small one in front of the wood (not the crypts, the one with the small leaves).

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/image-10.jpg

Once ID'd I might have some more questions about them.

Many thanks,

David

Far left looks like Cabomba, next to it looks like Elodia Densa. Not sure about the one next to the crypts.

Cabomba, Elodia Lunar is spot on :p , I had the one with the small leafs too but it didn't grow at all. So I donno what it is

It looks a bit like one of the Bacopa plants, Monnieri but not sure. Actually maybe Australis?

Hi

Thanks for the answers. The left one sure is correct as is elodea Luna. I've had a look at images online. For these since you all replied and I'm sure they're right. I warned to know so I can research how to care for them. The elodea is growing like nobodies business. It's been in for about 2 weeks and I swear it has grown at least 6-8 inches. The cabomba has been in a week and has grown a couple of inches already. I read somewhere that if you take a cutting from it and plant it, it will reroof itself so I'm thinking of doing that and having some on one side of my tank.

Since the elodea has grown to the surface, the roots off my amazon frogbit are getting caught up in it. The roots then tangle up in knots around the elodea. I separated them about a week ago but hours later they were together again so I've just left them to get on with it. At first, I wasn't keen on it getting caught up because I quite liked the way the frogbit 'roamed' around the tank with the current. Then I started thinking that because it is being held stationary I creates a still shaded area for the fish.

Anyone got any opinion on whether I should leave it to do its thing or not? The only way I can see to stop it is to trim back the elodea regularly so the frogbit roots don't make contact.

Lunar Jetman said:
It looks a bit like one of the Bacopa plants, Monnieri but not sure. Actually maybe Australis?
I have now looked up australis and it is very similar but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to be growing like the other two but I'm happy with it as it is but like the others, I'm hoping to find out how to care for it.

Thanks

David

I would say its up to you, keep things tidy or let it grow naturally. Depends on what look you are going for.

In my experience, the elodea becomes a tangled mess if not trimmed regularly. I eventually got rid of it ... too much work for lazy me.

This Old Spouse said:
In my experience, the elodea becomes a tangled mess if not trimmed regularly. I eventually got rid of it ... too much work for lazy me.
Yeh, I know what you mean. It grows SO fast. I think I'm going to trim it and free the frogbit. The cabomba has now nearly doubled in height and is nearly at the surface now.

I agree with "Lunar", certainly looks like a Bacopa, but again not too sure which one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back