Please Help!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kayla

Reaction score
I have a 10 us gallon tank with 4 neon tetras 2 platys 2 otticinclus and one African dwarf frog. Ive has my tank since the beginning of the year and the last couple months have been rough. One of my tetras got a discolored spot on the red part of his body so we quarantined him but he died from the shock. My fish we’re fine for a couple weeks and one morning the all had fin rot one of the platys died but all the other fish we’re fine. I got another platy and they were fine for a month. One of my fish got the same discolored spot as the other one but he was starting to get better but now all of my fish are sick but the platys are my main concern. Their whole face was covered in what looks like fungus and then I did a water change and they were swimming happily but then 30 seconds later it was back. I’ve been treating the tank with Melafix and Pimafix. Please if anyone could help

Attachments

• B8753C30-7AEB-4E90-B12E-8FD962B9D050.png
    B8753C30-7AEB-4E90-B12E-8FD962B9D050.png
    859.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 6ED88864-E17A-42A9-ABAC-9E2FF275F3BA.png
    6ED88864-E17A-42A9-ABAC-9E2FF275F3BA.png
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • D6C409C7-EC1B-489F-A683-27FFD06116BF.png
    D6C409C7-EC1B-489F-A683-27FFD06116BF.png
    1 MB · Views: 136
I have a 10 us gallon tank with 4 neon tetras 2 platys 2 otticinclus and one African dwarf frog. Ive has my tank since the beginning of the year and the last couple months have been rough. One of my tetras got a discolored spot on the red part of his body so we quarantined him but he died from the shock. My fish we’re fine for a couple weeks and one morning the all had fin rot one of the platys died but all the other fish we’re fine. I got another platy and they were fine for a month. One of my fish got the same discolored spot as the other one but he was starting to get better but now all of my fish are sick but the platys are my main concern. Their whole face was covered in what looks like fungus and then I did a water change and they were swimming happily but then 30 seconds later it was back. I’ve been treating the tank with Melafix and Pimafix. Please if anyone could help
have you tried testing your tank to see the levels?

Kayla please send a clearer photo of your platy. I suggest you keep adding melafix and pimafix till you get a proper confirmination from TFF
:)

I agree with @Moony42, do a 50% water change, and dose with MELIFIX and PIMAFIX, according to the directions on the bottle. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 2AD02AA1-EE38-49A8-973A-49BF550C5550.jpeg
    2AD02AA1-EE38-49A8-973A-49BF550C5550.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 120
It sounds like you're having some water condition problems on top of what you can visually see.

What test kit are you using here? Liquid test kits are by far the most reliable and accurate. Strips are very inaccurate at times.

Being that nitrate is the byproduct of the nitrogen cycle, you should have a higher reading than zero even with some live plants.

Traces of ammonia can be toxic, so that .25 reading can really mess things up. We'd have to confirm that that is indeed the correct reading, it may even be higher if that reading came off a strip.

What is your water change schedule and what filter are you running? When is the last time you cleaned your filter media and how did you do it? Running media under tap water can kill bacteria and throw of the whole cycle of your tank. Cleaning and changing filter media is sometimes the worst thing you can do for your tank.

It sounds like you're having some water condition problems on top of what you can visually see.

What test kit are you using here? Liquid test kits are by far the most reliable and accurate. Strips are very inaccurate at times.

Being that nitrate is the byproduct of the nitrogen cycle, you should have a higher reading than zero even with some live plants.

Traces of ammonia can be toxic, so that .25 reading can really mess things up. We'd have to confirm that that is indeed the correct reading, it may even be higher if that reading came off a strip.

What is your water change schedule and what filter are you running? When is the last time you cleaned your filter media and how did you do it? Running media under tap water can kill bacteria and throw of the whole cycle of your tank. Cleaning and changing filter media is sometimes the worst thing you can do for your tank.

I used both strips and liquid test kit I used API test strips and API liquid test kit I retested my nitrate and ammonia levels and got nitrate 5.0 and ammonia is 0.25 I do a 20-25% water change every other week (includes cyphoning the tank) and then whenever needed. I have a tetra whisper 10i filter and the last time I cleaned the filter media was about 2-3 weeks ago and I ran it under hot water and scrubbed everything (I had to do this because I’m having a brown algae problem and it grows on my filter) I changed the cartridge yesterday because it has been a month and it had red algae on it when I changed it I added the tetra bacteria

I used both strips and liquid test kit I used API test strips and API liquid test kit I retested my nitrate and ammonia levels and got nitrate 5.0 and ammonia is 0.25 I do a 20-25% water change every other week (includes cyphoning the tank) and then whenever needed I have a whisper 2-10i

Ok, that makes more sense. Nitrate level is perfect.

I cannot comment on diagnosis of disease if any.

Continue treatment and try to get that ammonia down. Maybe someone else can comment, but I'd up the water changes to twice a week and monitor ammonia, be sure to use a water conditioner and don't clean the filter unless you observe a slower water flow.

I've never used an internal filer like that, I'd assume it would be sufficient for a 10 gallon with small fish in it.

What's up with the build up of bubbles in that one picture of the mollie near the surface? It might be from just the air stone but something looks weird about it to me. Idk if you purposely have the tank level a little lower because of the frog, but if you can - fill the tank up all the way up. I can't really tell but It looks like there's another gallon of water to be added. That's 10% more water!

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Ok, that makes more sense. Nitrate level is perfect.

I cannot comment on diagnosis of disease if any.

Continue treatment and try to get that ammonia down. Maybe someone else can comment, but I'd up the water changes to twice a week and monitor ammonia, be sure to use a water conditioner and don't clean the filter unless you observe a slower water flow.

I've never used an internal filer like that, I'd assume it would be sufficient for a 10 gallon with small fish in it.

What's up with the build up of bubbles in that one picture of the mollie near the surface? It might be from just the air stone but something looks weird about it to me. Idk if you purposely have the tank level a little lower because of the frog, but if you can - fill the tank up all the way up. I can't really tell but It looks like there's another gallon of water to be added. That's 10% more water!

Hopefully someone else can chime in.
The bubbles you saw in the picture of the platy was the medicine the filter makes it bubble up I can add a little more water but the lip of the filter is lower because it kept overflowing and water went everywhere thank you for all your help

Let us know if the platy gets sick again

Let us know if the platy gets sick again
Well sadly I lost the entire tank including the frog I found that they had sepsis and by the time I got the medicine it was too late thank you for all your help.

Traces of ammonia that appear can sometimes actually be ammonium.
Well sadly I lost the entire tank including the frog I found that they had sepsis and by the time I got the medicine it was too late thank you for all your help.
Sorry for your loss :(

Most reactions

trending

Back