Please Help With Otto With Columnaris!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AnonyMissJ

Reaction score
The other day I noticed my Otocinclus had a small whitish, puffy spot on his side. I think it is a fungus (columnaris).

Pictures (sorry for the quality--I only have my cell phone to take pictures):

453069785_1579721655_0.jpg

453070053_1579722668_0.jpg

Earlier tonight, I set up a 3g with heater, filter, air stone and no gravel to put him in tomorrow (waiting for heater to get the temp. up). I put a used cartridge from my 6g in the filter and filled it with 2g of water from the Otto's aquarium and 1g of new water treated with conditioner and Garlic Guard.

I also bought Maracyn by Mardel to treat him with. I've never used this before; would it be ok to put a whole packet into the 3g? The instructions don't say.

I'd really appreciate your help!!!

id treat him in the quarantine tank. to dose, what does the packet say? (ie X ammount perX gals of water). if one packet treats 10 gals (say) divide the packet in half. then divide the half into fifths. use 2/5ths of that for a 3 gal..
all the best with him. i love otos :)
if that doesnt work, try a true fungal tratment (columnaris and fungus are not the same thing. col. is from a bacteria).
cheers

It does say one packet treats ten gallons, so I'll do what you said when adding it. Thanks, by the way! I'm not the best with fractions.

Judging by the pictures (sorry about the quality), what kind of fungus do you think it is? And, do you think what I'm using is the right treatment?

Thank you so much for responding!

It does say one packet treats ten gallons, so I'll do what you said when adding it. Thanks, by the way! I'm not the best with fractions.

Judging by the pictures (sorry about the quality), what kind of fungus do you think it is? And, do you think what I'm using is the right treatment?

Thank you so much for responding!

it is hard to tell from the pictures what the texture of the white patch looks like. however id be very wary that it is in fact columnaris as it is around the dorsal fin (classic olumnaris..it is often presents itself as a saddle-like patch at first).
columnaris is bacterial. the other option is that it is a fungal infection which requires a different treatment.
try to describe what the patch looks like (does it look cottony, fluffy,raised,smooth,etc.). then we *may* be able to rule one way or the other.
id also suggest a big waterchange before medicating for anything. clean water is a fish's best defense. is the fish still eating (which would be obvious as otos poop a lot!).
keep us updated.
cheers

[/quote]

it is hard to tell from the pictures what the texture of the white patch looks like. however id be very wary that it is in fact columnaris as it is around the dorsal fin (classic olumnaris..it is often presents itself as a saddle-like patch at first).
columnaris is bacterial. the other option is that it is a fungal infection which requires a different treatment.
try to describe what the patch looks like (does it look cottony, fluffy,raised,smooth,etc.). then we *may* be able to rule one way or the other.
id also suggest a big waterchange before medicating for anything. clean water is a fish's best defense. is the fish still eating (which would be obvious as otos poop a lot!).
keep us updated.
cheers
[/quote]

I was reading up on columnaris, and I think that is what it is. I'm going to return the Maracyn in exchange for Maracyn 2, which I've heard treats columnaris. Right now he's still in the 20g with everyone else; I'm STILL waiting for the temp. in the 3g to regulate. It's frustrating!

Thank you so much for your help.

keep us updated.
cheers
[/quote]

I was reading up on columnaris, and I think that is what it is. I'm going to return the Maracyn in exchange for Maracyn 2, which I've heard treats columnaris. Right now he's still in the 20g with everyone else; I'm STILL waiting for the temp. in the 3g to regulate. It's frustrating!

Thank you so much for your help.
[/quote]

not a problem :)
what temp do you have it set to? whether it is columnaris or fungal, best to keep the temp on the low side of things. bacteria and fungi multiply faster at higher temps. just another thought for you.
and the maracyn2 is a better idea for columnaris.
good luck with him. i *heart* otos :)
cheers

what temp do you have it set to? whether it is columnaris or fungal, best to keep the temp on the low side of things. bacteria and fungi multiply faster at higher temps. just another thought for you.
cheers

The temp in the 3g right now is about 77-78 or so. I had forgotten that lower temps are better for fungal issues! Thank you for reminding me! =) I was worried, since Otto's are so sensitive to temperature, that he would shock at a lower temp (even if I eased him into it). Perhaps once he's used to the new tank, I'll lower the temperature.
I love Otto's, too, especially this little guy! Thank you for your help!

cheers

The temp in the 3g right now is about 77-78 or so. I had forgotten that lower temps are better for fungal issues! Thank you for reminding me! =) I was worried, since Otto's are so sensitive to temperature, that he would shock at a lower temp (even if I eased him into it). Perhaps once he's used to the new tank, I'll lower the temperature.
I love Otto's, too, especially this little guy! Thank you for your help!

put some plants in there to make him more comfortable/secure. and just acclimate him in a cup to the lower temp.
cheers

put some plants in there to make him more comfortable/secure. and just acclimate him in a cup to the lower temp.
cheers

I've got 2 caves and 3 large silk plants in the 3g. I'm acclimating him right now! The heat is still around 79. I think tomorrow I'm going to change the heater with another one I have that doesn't go up as high.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back