Please Help! Urgent

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ian M

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a 22l nano reef marine tank, i do a water change of 5 l every week. It houses
2 true clowns
one hermit crab
star fish
orange spotted goby
it has has 3 Xenia several small polyps and 5 smal mushroom corals.

Ph is 8.3, nitrate is below 15ppm and salinity is 1.023 specific gravity.

i have not recently added any new tank mates.

So here is are my problems:

Firstly it looks like my star fish has been burned from my heater, we think it has been on it when it has clicked on. it was fine at 12.30am on fri 14th morning and at 9am it was losing skin and defated. i phoned are local fish shop and they also suggested that it has been burned and to do a water change and put in the anti bac myxazin. I have been treating the tank with 1.5ml per day and it looks like it will lose 3 legs but the other 2 look health. I know that star fish have amazing powers of regeneration but what i would like to know is the damage too much? any advice would be greatly appricated.

Secondly and hopefully lastly, when feeding my orange spotted goby with live brine shrimp i noticed that on one side just behind the pectoral fin is a small white worm that looks like it is attached as there is a small blood ''hole'' that it on my gody just at the ''head'' of this ''worm''. i know a little about parasitic worms as i am in my 3 year at uni studing zoology, but i really need help with this one and the treatment to apply if any, any advice will be fantasic.

thanks in advance

a worried trainee zoologist (Ian M partner!)

Welcome fellow nano reefer. Tough call on the sea star. They DO have regenerative powers, however, if it dies, they disintegrate extremely rapidly and can cause a tank crash. If you could quarantine it, I would. If not, keep a close eye on it and remove it immediately if it dies. What kind of sea star is it? Also I'm not familiar with myxazin....will that affect your biological filter?

As for the goby, do you have or can you buy a skunk cleaner shrimp? They eat parasites off of some fish. Catching that little guy would probably be near impossible. SH

Are you sure the tank is 22L? That is extremely small for 3 fish and a starfish!...

Although this doesnt sound like it is causing you problems, it may well do in longrun, as there will be simply too much waste for the volume of water.

Ben

Thanks for the advice,

my tank is def 22l it has been up and running for nearly a year and has never crashed as i keep a v close eye on the parameters.

I think i will quarintine my star thanks for that, should really have thought of that.

unfortunately i dont want to add any more stock as you quite rightly pointed out i do not want to over stock my tank cos then it will crash!

Catching the goby will be v v difficult as he has to many hiding places.

Thanks again to all that replyed.

myxazin is chemical teatment that is produced by waterlife ( we live in Scotland UK) it states that it doesnt not disrupt the biological filter (neither harm nitrifying bacteria or denitrifying filtration bacteria)

Hi Ian

Myxazin will help the star fight off Bacterial infection that it is/will suffer from the wounds it has received.

As Ben has stated your tank is very small to host a Star IMO as they generally do better in Very Large Systems

I would also be inclined to increase your Sg to 1.026 (NSW Level)

:D

As far as i remember, Myxazin has copper in, i wouldnt use this in your tank. There are other treatments such as paragon and melafix which are more natural, but be careful before treating.

Ben

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back