Please Help ! Tank Stocking Ideas For Fluval Edge 46L

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Louis

Reaction score
I have recently invested in a fluval edge 46l tank. Right now it has 2 plants in but I will be adding more. While the tank was preparing to be stocked I was won spidering what I could put in it. I would love a small fish shoal with neon tetras in or maybe mountain cloud minnows but would also like some shrimp and a couple of larger fish such as barbs or guppies. Any stocking suggestions?

if your looking for color then 6 neon's - 4 corydoras   (trilineatus or hubrosus ) and a betta .... 

or as an alternate stocking 10 Vietnamese cardinal minnows and a shoal of some blueberry cherry shrimp ? 

Hello and 
welcomeani.gif
to the Forum.

First off, I would not follow 9murphy9's suggestions, really :/

Neons need a larger tank than 46 litres / 12 gals.

Habrosus Cories, otherwise known as salt & pepper cories, is pushing it for a 46 l as they need to be in groups of at least 6 and the edge tank does not have a base dimension suitable really. I have one a edge 46L.

Have never come across Vietnamese Cardinal Minnows to be honest, had to google search these, lovely unusual fish and I kinda like these, according to SF its just about do able but would not risk it to be honest.

For those interested...
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tanichthys-micagemmae/ 

But the suggestion of shrimps is a good one, also you may consider Chili Rasboras, CPD's or perhaps just a single Betta on its own with maybe some snails for example.

we need to be ,realistic though, nobody who's gone out and got a fluval edge is going to want to keep just one fighter in there  , with stocking you just need to introduce slowly and be careful of what your putting in there .... i still stick with my initial suggestions as with slow stocking they would be fine .

I agree with Ch4rlie, corys, even the dwarf & pygmies need a larger footprint & neons need more length to swim.
The edge is taller than it is long so many schooling fish are out, however Cpd's (celestial pearl danios) & chili rasboras are not fast swimming fish tending to hover in around plants so a school of either of those would be ok, shrimp & snails could also be kept.
When stocking any tank it isn't just about the volume, you have to take into account the fishes behaviour & swimming needs

9murphy9 said:
we need to be ,realistic though, nobody who's gone out and got a fluval edge is going to want to keep just one fighter in there  , with stocking you just need to introduce slowly and be careful of what your putting in there .... i still stick with my initial suggestions as with slow stocking they would be fine .

Am absolutely all for being realistic.

Afraid I cannot sit by and let the OP go ahead and do what you advise - 

So you still maintain a 46 litre Fluval Edge is suitable for Neon Tetras?

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paracheirodon-innesi/

That site recommends 15 gallon tank, 60 cm or 2 foot length tank minimum, Fluval edge is 43 cm in length ( 43L x 26W x 59.4H ) and neons are fairly active and quick little fish and need room swim. Also they do best in groups of at least 8 to 10 so further evidence that's really not enough space in an Edge for these lovely tetras.

4 habrousus corydoras, lovely cories, amongst my favourites
smile.png

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-habrosus/

Again, I would not put these in an Edge tank, and 4 is not enough by the way, better in groups of 6+, even though SF suggest a 50 litre tank and the Edge is JUST about do able but really, its kinda cramped especially when you consider the addition of decor, woods and plants etc etc so the base dimension footprint means its not quite big enough for these guys to thrive.

Now for the Betta Splenden, can you absolutely guarantee 100% that the Betta, Louis purchases, if she decides she would like a Betta Splenden, will not kill any other tank mates, particularly neons and guppies for example?

Yes, there are exceptions and some bettas are tolerant with tank mate and even with shrimps in some cases, but more often than not, they are best as lone fish and are perfectly happy this way as long as tank is set up suitably.

"Bettas are territorial, solitary fish, and do not get lonely. They are perfectly happy -- and actually prefer -- to live alone in their tank."

Quoted from this very well known and respected Betta breeder's article

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423364-betta-splendens-caresheet/

Am afraid I not know enough about these Vietamese Cardinal Minnows to really comment on those, hopefully someone who has kept these can educate us about these lovely looking fish.

Slow stocking and carefully chosen tank mates are all well and good but for most newcomers, does not always work out that way
confused.gif

So, with our help, pointing these people in the general right direction helps them tremendously and helps prevents tears and upsets from happening and of course its almost inevitable this continues to happen with new keepers who do not do their research and don't ask for advice firsthand will almost certainly find issues.

And finding the right advice and who to listen to is vital too, so giving good, tried and tested advice is the best start we can give for new fish keepers
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back