🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all

Hope you are all well?!

I have had 3 cories and 2 guppy girls die in a matter of 2 days. I’m not sure if it’s gill flukes or columnaris. The cories have had their flesh eaten around there gill area and back around there fins almost like bruising and the guppies have been clamped fin and pale. Please help me I need to get onto this ASAP
Also a lot of flashing going on with everyone
@JuiceBox52

Attachments

• FCB2AC55-6A29-4C70-B9BA-8ED76C14163D.jpeg
    FCB2AC55-6A29-4C70-B9BA-8ED76C14163D.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 75
Hi all

Hope you are all well?!

I have had 3 cories and 2 guppy girls die in a matter of 2 days. I’m not sure if it’s gill flukes or columnaris. The cories have had their flesh eaten around there gill area and back around there fins almost like bruising and the guppies have been clamped fin and pale. Please help me I need to get onto this ASAP
Also a lot of flashing going on with everyone
@JuiceBox52
What other inhabitants are there in this tank? Is it sand substrate?

What other fish are there?

You just added new fish, correct?

Be wary of treating tanks with salt, if they contain tetras or Corydoras - they are very sensitive.

It's fine at Colin's recommended dose though

Right I have done abit well quite a lot of reading on here and am going with Colin’s advise with treating with salt. 70% water change and substrate clean and cleaning of the glass has been done.
Id never use salt with corydora it can be deadly to them, shouldnt effect the guppies though.
Why are you using salt? Were the fish showing signs of disease/ stress before addition of salt. If so did the addition of salt was the stress in fish increased or decreased?

I know this guys!! But I’ve never used medication and I only use salt for medical reasons, as juice advised it’s at Colin’s recommend dose rate.And tbh I’m not going to sit there and watch my babies get eaten alive from this bacterial infection, that to me is more cruel. I have woken this morning with no deaths and everyone is a lot happier. The flashing has stopped, everyone is eating well and this is on a temporary run so I’m okay with that knowing everyone is better.
I’d go with Colins advice myself as well. Best of luck. Fingers n fins crossed for you.

I know this guys!! But I’ve never used medication and I only use salt for medical reasons, as juice advised it’s at Colin’s recommend dose rate.And tbh I’m not going to sit there and watch my babies get eaten alive from this bacterial infection, that to me is more cruel. I have woken this morning with no deaths and everyone is a lot happier. The flashing has stopped, everyone is eating well and this is on a temporary run so I’m okay with that knowing everyone is better.
I think people were only trying to help. They're not trying to be condescending or hurtful, they're trying to help.

I get it, my guppies were showing signs of worms, but I couldn't see any worms so I couldn't ID what was affected them, and didn't know which treatment to use. But young fish were dying. I had to use two different wormers and an antibacterial med, and it does seem to have saved the guppies, but also meant I had to treat a tank with shrimp and otocinclus in. Despite these meds saying they're well tolerated by fish and shrimp, I've lost two out of four of my blue shrimp, and two otocinclus. I knew it was a risk, but I couldn't just let guppies keep dying either, so it was a risk I had to take. Sometimes you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

But I know people were not trying to hurt or upset you, they only wanted to help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back