Please Help Me Major Emergency!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone-
Earlier today I added Tetra Algae Control to my 30 gal tank. The dosing was 1 ml for every 12 gallons. I did 2 ml in my 30 gal just to be safe. Well, an hour after adding it, two of my guppies were dead and my other fish following. I quickly added the carbon back into the tank and called the company. The guy I talked to told me that because I didn't add the dosage in the morning this happened. Had I added it in the morning everything would have been fine. (I actually wasn't using this chemical for killing algae. I have a major snail invasion I found that this product kills snails). I called Petco and the animal manager told me to do a 20% water change, turn the lights off, and just wait and see what happens. I did that and then called her back a couple of hours later and told her that my fish were still looking pretty bad. So she told me to move them to a different tank, which I did. But my guppies are still not doing well. One is just about dead and my prized male cobra guppy is very close to being a goner. I am still not sure what else to try. Btw, this has only affected my livebearers. My neon tetras are strangely fine. I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
I don't recommend using such products for algae control or to "kill" snails. If it kills snails, I would think it would affect other fish as well.

If your tank that you moved them to is not cycled, ammonia will build up and further affect the fish. I don't know why they advised you to only do a 20% water change. A daily water change of 75% would be more advisable until the fish improve.

If the original tank is cycled, after you do a 75% water change in the 1st tank and add the carbon filter, then perhaps after 24 hours you might be best to move the fish back to that tank again.

What is the exact name of the product you used? Does it say what chemical is in the product?

But I advise you to see what other members think. Colin, in particular, would advise you properly as he is our resident "fish guru."

Some readings to take to prepare for further advice:
how long has it been set up
Is it cycled
Water hardness
PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels

please do the above and post here

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. My tank has been set up for 9 months, yes it is cycled, I don't have current water parameters but will get them asap. The chemical is Poly [Oxyethylene (Dimethyliminio) Ethylene Dichloride]. The name of the product is Tetra Algae Control.
The pet store said only 20% water change because any more would stress the fish out too much.

Don't listen to the "fish store'. Do a 75% water change daily till fish improve. Hopefully Colin will respond soon.

by the way..how many and what type of fish do you have in the tank?

Oh...and make sure you use water conditioner/dechlorinator in the water you are adding..

I did add water conditioner :)
I have five neon tetras, two swordtails, and barely eight guppies. (I had ten guppies but two of them died earlier today).
So this morning I had seventeen fish in the tank and now I have six fish in the tank (one swordtail and the tetra school).

I moved the eight guppies and one swordtail to my ten gallon but I'm a little concerned about them being in there because I have 40+ baby guppies in that tank.

Assuming you did the 75% water change, I would wait just a couple of hours more for the water to filter and settle and then I would put the guppies back into their original tank. Putting them in the small tank with loads of fry may just stress them out more. I don't think you should wait till morning to move them...do it tonight.

Okay, I didn't do the water change yet. Is it safe to wait until tomorrow for the water change?

My male cobra guppy was just stuck on the filter. I got him off but he is still breathing just immobile. I am at a loss on what to do.

I personally would do it tonight if possible. I would then move the guppies back into the tank after an hour or two.. If you really don't have time to do it tonight, just put out the tank lights and do it first thing in the morning. I think you said you added carbon to the filter...correct?

I'm surprised no one else on our site has responded. Hopefully Colin chimes in soon.

Oh...I just read that Guppies will eat their fry as they will mistake them for food. So the sooner you move the adult guppies back to their original tank the better. Just be sure to do a 75% water change first! And then do 75% water changes daily till they get healthy again.

Yes I added the carbon in hours ago. I might do it in the morning. I am a little tired tonight lol
What should I do with that male guppy? Just leave him?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back