Please help me ID these fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I don't know how to link with an automatic timestamp I'm afraid, but if you go to 1:45 in this video:

There are orange/yellowish fish with blue eyes, that I'd really like to learn the species! They're close to the same size as the celestial pearls, look a bit like the psuedomugli I have, but not quite the same, I think a different species.

Wow, and at 3:57 there are some lovely looking tetra? rasbora? with green bodies, and a red spot above the eye. No idea what they are, but want some now!

I don't know how to link with an automatic timestamp I'm afraid, but if you go to 1:45 in this video:

There are orange/yellowish fish with blue eyes, that I'd really like to learn the species! They're close to the same size as the celestial pearls, look a bit like the psuedomugli I have, but not quite the same, I think a different species.
They look to be red neons, like you have... MAYBE gertrudae but unlikely

Wow, and at 3:57 there are some lovely looking tetra? rasbora? with green bodies, and a red spot above the eye. No idea what they are, but want some now!
those kind of look like red eye tetras

i think they are red neon rainbowfish as well. there are many types of pseudomugli

@Rocky998 and @Sgooosh I think you guys might be right, I've watched the whole video now and seen other ones, and I think you're right, they are red neon rainbowfish, same species as mine... but those ones are so pale! It's throwing me off. Mine aren't a deep red, it is more orange, but the ones in the video, their fins are transparent/white and body really pale yellow. Mine are much more orange including on the fins, the males especially have pretty fins and if you're close, you can see the dark speckling on them too.

But my species of red neon also has a blue line running along the body as well as the blue eyes, and I can't see that on his. So many it is a different species of rainbow, or ricefish? @WhistlingBadger could you take a look and see what you think, please? I know you have ricefish! :D
DSCF0156.JPG
DSCF0771.JPG

Some of these nano fish species are really new to me, I've only just begun and have a trio of psuedomugi luminatus, so I'm not familiar with a lot of these, and they can look so different under different lights.

@Rocky998 and @Sgooosh I think you guys might be right, I've watched the whole video now and seen other ones, and I think you're right, they are red neon rainbowfish, same species as mine... but those ones are so pale! It's throwing me off. Mine aren't a deep red, it is more orange, but the ones in the video, their fins are transparent/white and body really pale yellow. Mine are much more orange including on the fins, the males especially have pretty fins and if you're close, you can see the dark speckling on them too.

But my species of red neon also has a blue line running along the body as well as the blue eyes, and I can't see that on his. So many it is a different species of rainbow, or ricefish? @WhistlingBadger could you take a look and see what you think, please? I know you have ricefish! :D
View attachment 313552View attachment 313553
Some of these nano fish species are really new to me, I've only just begun and have a trio of psuedomugi luminatus, so I'm not familiar with a lot of these, and they can look so different under different lights.
Sometimes it's just genetics as well. I know that pseudomugil gertrudae can have multiple different "styles" you could say.
I wouldn't be surprised if Luminatus could be the same in some way

The yellow fish with blue eyes are Pseudomugil gertrudae. There are dozens of colour forms found in northern Australia and New Guinea. They could be a pure strain or a cross between several strains.

The fish at 3.57 are lemon tetras and silvertip tetras. the lemons being the fish with yellow and a higher body. The silvertips have white tips on their fins and are narrow fish.

The yellow fish with blue eyes are Pseudomugil gertrudae. There are dozens of colour forms found in northern Australia and New Guinea. They could be a pure strain or a cross between several strains.

The fish at 3.57 are lemon tetras and silvertip tetras. the lemons being the fish with yellow and a higher body. The silvertips have white tips on their fins and are narrow fish.

Brilliant, thank you, @Colin_T ! @Rocky998 you mentioned gertrudae first :) That they were pseudomugli so similar and familiar, yet also strikingly different is understandable then! They seem longer in the body than luminatus as well, which caught my eye first.

I love the lemon tetras! But @mbsqw1d had some, and I believe was a bit disappointed with them if I remember rightly.

Brilliant, thank you, @Colin_T ! @Rocky998 you mentioned gertrudae first :) That they were pseudomugli so similar and familiar, yet also strikingly different is understandable then! They seem longer in the body than luminatus as well, which caught my eye first.

I love the lemon tetras! But @mbsqw1d had some, and I believe was a bit disappointed with them if I remember rightly.
Glad we could help you in some way :)

Just to make it more fun and confusing, at 7:56 you can see what definitely is an Pseudomugli luminatus (the species I have) hanging with the ember tetra (wow, the colour on those embers!) and how it looks compared the gertrudae earlier in the vid.

Look up Pseudomugil luminatus, and paskai. They are close relatives of Colin's pick that are showing up in North America. Red bodied gertrudae are something I have never seen here, but they may be a thing in Australia.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back