Please Help Me Diagnose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Betta is in 5G tank with a few MTS. Yesterday found ulcerated fuzzy spot on side of head. Began treating with Furan-2 and Kanaplex. This morning 25% w/c and another dose of Furan-2. Upon closer inspection, site looked ulcerated with long white fibers sticking out. Did a Methylene blue dip and sore immediately fell off. Now just ulcerated wound. Is this Columnaris? I’m continuing w/c and furan-2 and Kanaplex treatment. Also 2 methylene blue dips a day. I have a shrimp tank with lots of berried females so want to keep this away from them. Any ideas what it is? Suggestions? Thanks so much! Pics enclosed are after sore fell off. Weekly tank cleaning with Python and 50% water change. Parameters 0, 0, 20. Feed New Life Spectrum betta and frozen blood worms. Occasionally peas.

Attachments

• 125A5527-4320-4717-A5EE-945147572A39.jpeg
    125A5527-4320-4717-A5EE-945147572A39.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 6C4F4971-F35D-4B6D-A2B4-A7016F7F09FB.jpeg
    6C4F4971-F35D-4B6D-A2B4-A7016F7F09FB.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 78A73024-2F8D-48DB-A1C3-2B2439730D6C.jpeg
    78A73024-2F8D-48DB-A1C3-2B2439730D6C.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 358
I thought of hole in the head. Aren’t those holes more like pin holes or pits though? I look at her everyday though and it was just suddenly there yesterday morning.

I am sorry that your Betta is unwell. How long has your tank been set up? From the picture provided this to me looks like some sort of potential parasite problem. I would continue to treat the fish and carry out water changes. Ensure that everything in the tank is clean including plants, ornaments, and filter media. I hope you see an improvement soon. Best of luck.

Hm, it could possible be Flavobacterium columnare, in which case I believe you need to bath it with antibiotic treatment such as Terramycin, otherwise it would just be an overload in slime coat, which is caused by stress coat or other aloe Vera products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sorry that your Betta is unwell. How long has your tank been set up? From the picture provided this to me looks like some sort of potential parasite problem. I would continue to treat the fish and carry out water changes. Ensure that everything in the tank is clean including plants, ornaments, and filter media. I hope you see an improvement soon. Best of luck.
This tank has been going for about 4 months.

Why do people always put anti-biotics into a tank without knowing what the problem is first...

Anti-biotics are only useful for bacterial infections and should ONLY be used as a last resort to treat a known bacterial infection that does not respond to normal fish medications.

Improper or misuse of anti-biotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can kill people, animals, birds, reptiles and fish.

-----------------------------
Now that I have complained about that.

It is not Columnaris.

If the sore appeared over night the fish probably scratched its head and took a piece of skin off and that has left a big sore. The white stringy bits were probably excess mucous the fish had to try and cover the wound.

If you do regular tank maintenance and no new fish or plants have been added to the tank in the last 2 weeks, then there should not be any new nasty bacteria or protozoans in the water and the wound should heal up by itself. However since you have already started treatment, you may as well continue treatment for a week to make sure everything in the water is dead (fish not included).

Kanamycin and Furan 2 usually wipe out filter bacteria so monitor ammonia and nitrite levels for the next few weeks and do big daily water changes to keep this in check.

I agree with the above medicine can do do more damage than good if not used correctly. It is important to know what you are treating for, however once you know laying of the medicine or avoiding them will only cause further suffering for the fish. It is clear there is something wrong with your poor little Betta, I hope we can figure this out.

I can’t see anything in her tank that she could have scraped her head on but fish will be fish. What do you think the big plug of hairy meat was that fell off in the methylene blue dip? It wasn’t stringy, it Was fuzzy and stuck straight out. Kanaplex also treats fungal infections, not just bacterial. It does look much better today though. The red is gone and the skin appears to be healing. It was definitely ulcerated which surprises me that it got that way so quickly from a head wound. Thank you, Colin for the lesson. It just looked so nasty. Like an alien sitting on her head. The fuzzy hairs stuck straight out and were about .5” long. Lol!

Last edited:
White fluffy bits sticking up from a wound are usually fungus. Methylene Blue kills fungus and bacteria.

Kanamycin (Kanaplex) is an anti-biotic and does not treat fungus. I contacted SeaChem about this issue and posted a copy of my email and their response on 11 December 2018. You can read my email and SeaChem's response at the following link. It is post #17.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/p...-a-year-old-losing-pigmentation.450382/page-2

Personally speaking, this does look like a parasite problem to me. Fungus is usually white and can be identified easier. Due to there being a wound, there could be a potential that this was fungus at a prior time. However it seems as though you do keep a close eye on your Betta so I’m sure this wouldn’t have been missed. Although your fish won’t appreciate wrong treatment, you are being proactive and trying your best which is positive! Many medicines are completely harmless to fish and this is stated on the packing of each medication available. Even if the fish doesn’t have the condition being treated for. However, medicating incorrectly could lead to further stress and possibly overdose if given to frequently or mixed with other medication. Keep us updated if you require any further help or advise, I hope we can solve the problem. I am pleased to hear there has already been a slight improvement, every little helps! Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for your help and insight. I really do appreciate it. This afternoon the fuzz is back so I took some pics for you all to see. Please, any additional feedback is appreciated. This fish was beautiful. Now she has this sore and her fins are beginning to tatter. I’m desperate!

Attachments

• C3F75FA7-0CE3-43AC-BBD3-B7661E858906.jpeg
    C3F75FA7-0CE3-43AC-BBD3-B7661E858906.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 93C53723-AD9E-4CDC-963B-15A3B89A2B3F.jpeg
    93C53723-AD9E-4CDC-963B-15A3B89A2B3F.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 261
I would still go with parasites due to the pinky texture. I am one of the unfortunate people who have had to deal with this problem before, in personal experience parasites can also cause a pinky/white effect dependent upon what sort you are dealing with. You are fortunate to have a strong betta, these are very beautiful hardy fish I hope she pulls through. Due to getting two very different opinions I would recommend trying Colin’s advice first and treating for a fungal infection. My recommendation would be to add API primafix. This is a natural treatment and is a well known medication to treat fungal infections in fish at a fast rate. If you begin to see improvements (probably not over night) but after a week or maybe two, then I would then suggest treating for parasites. In the meantime if the fish is stressed I would try to keep the aquarium light off from time to time just to help her feel a bit safer and relaxed. Keep up with everything you normally do water changes etc, pristine will hopefully help any further infection occurring to the wound.

Last edited:
The white fluff is fungus and is frequently found on injured fish in aquariums. Do a huge water change and gravel clean and add Methylene Blue to the tank. If you don't want to wipe out the filter bacteria (it might be dead anyway from the Kanamycin), move the fish into a clean container and leave it in there for a week with Methylene Blue in the water. Change the water every day and wipe the container out before retreating it with more Methylene Blue.

Try to avoid handling the fish and lifting it out of the water because this can make the problem worse. Either leave a small amount of water in the bottom of the container for the fish, or scoop it out in a small amount of water, clean the tank and put it back. Then treat again.

Do not use Melafix or Pimafix on Bettas or Labyrinths because it can leave an oily film over the surface and kill the fish. And don't use these medications in aquariums without aeration and filtration.

Agreed, ensuring everything is clean is important for the fish to progress and get better. However I wouldn’t recommend moving the fish into a small container, personally I think this could stress the fish further. Any sort of transfer weakens the immune system further. However a decent sized container with a heater added in would do the job. If you wish to take this option a way I think it is the best for transferring is netting the fish into a cup and then slowly releasing him into the container.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back