Please Help Identifying My Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

trojannemo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
well this will seem odd, because this betta is already dead, but we liked it so much we are really wanting to obtain another one like it, or at least similar.
monalisa.jpg

we bought it at a fish exhibition we stumbled upon, and were told it was a female "Rosetail" betta. that's all they said.
i've got several fish, but my experience with bettas is limited to the regular variation you find at the petshops (i think veil tails and crown tails, i've had both)
now i saw something about Plakat bettas, and i'm not sure if she was a regular female with a nice coloration, or a plakat male, or a plakat female.
i want another one, and i'm assuming the way to get one starts by knowing the specifics no?
any help greatly appreciated. seeing the posts here and other forums about bettas has inspired me to create a customized home for them in my unused 10G tank...

thanks!

What a stunner.....I can't blame you for wanting another one :wub:

Well it's definately male looking at the size of his gill flare and I would say Halfmoon Plakat. Good luck in your hunt for another :good:

oh my...
we had been told it was a female and so "she" was placed in my community tank with my VT male...no wonder they would flare at each other. the plakat didn't look like a male to me, the face seemed softere and the body was much smaller than that of my VT...so we're sure it's a male? if so that would explain why it died in a relatively small time. it was in a 38G community tank with another bigger male...right?

It may well have been to do with your other larger male or possibly the other fish in your community tank....depending on what they were.
This is a pic of our plakat male Diesel. They do tend to have a slightly different body shape to other types of bettas and yours may have been a juvie still, but there's no mistaking the full flare.

0802140023-1.jpg

u deffo had a hmpk male, gosh he was stunning

well guys i'm not so sure! look at this pic
mona.jpg

that kribensis in the back was pestering this betta all the time. it never did that with my VT male. then when this one died, and i added another one (a red/albino VT female) it went after it as well. it has never displayed that behavior with any other fish in the tank other than the two supposed female bettas.

and another thing, i just checked my tank log and "she" lasted over a month and a half in the tank, 4/06-5/22, so if it was a male, how come the two guys didnt battle it out before?
this is the best picture i got of them together
both.jpg

verify now :blush:

I say Female..... I have one that looks a lot like her. I also think that the reason your bettas keep dying, is that you are keeping males, and females together, and other fish too. You should do some research before you but ANY more fish.

I also think it's a female. If it were a HMPK male it's anal fin should be pointy, not trapezoidal. Looks like she was a nice HM female to me. She likely died from keeping the male/female together in the tank. That's something that should never be done.

I also think it's a female. If it were a HMPK male it's anal fin should be pointy, not trapezoidal. Looks like she was a nice HM female to me. She likely died from keeping the male/female together in the tank. That's something that should never be done.

damn it damn it. i was told that in a tank over 10G it'd be fine...i do research before i put fish in. and that research said that it'd be fine this way!

i never thought her to be a guy, face looked too small and "soft" to be a male...
so why is my kribensis female attacking the female bettas? that's not a question of whether she is or not, i know she is, i see her do it. why only female bettas?

males and females should never be in the same tank unless you are trying to spawn them and they have been properly conditioned, even then they can turn around and kill each other.

I have a male that cant even see females in the next tank over without getting stressed over time.

Its a difficult one -_-
The flare in the first pic looks male, but the anal fin looks female?? In the picture with the Krib, check out the dorsal fin. Looks like the classic pk male shape forming?? When my pk male was young the first fin to really take on the classic shape was the dorsal, but with no front on flare picture of yours, its a case of is it or isn't it. However, in the picture of it with the vt, has the vt got some damage to its anal fin? (Cant see it properly) If so, it was likely to have been the other betta, male or female.

One other thing, lol, it doesn't appear to have the slight belly that a female would have, and appears flat like a male.

Its a difficult one -_-
The flare in the first pic looks male, but the anal fin looks female?? In the picture with the Krib, check out the dorsal fin. Looks like the classic pk male shape forming?? When my pk male was young the first fin to really take on the classic shape was the dorsal, but with no front on flare picture of yours, its a case of is it or isn't it. However, in the picture of it with the vt, has the vt got some damage to its anal fin? (Cant see it properly) If so, it was likely to have been the other betta, male or female.

One other thing, lol, it doesn't appear to have the slight belly that a female would have, and appears flat like a male.

the VT male did have tail damage...actually it was horribly torn by someone in the tank, i assume it to be one of my angels, but i'm not really quite sure. the damage was done before i introduced the betta in question and that was actually AFTER ~2 weeks of healing in a breeder net within the tank...
ahh it's sooo confusing. anyhows from now on all bettas are going to be kept in the betta tank once it gets created. i'm not putting any more of them into the "community" tank :rolleyes:

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I think she's an HMPK Female. I was looking on AB, and I found a fairly similar female. She's a half moon, so her anal fin is more like a trapezoid, but the coloring is fairly similar. She's in the U.S., so your shipping won't be too bad.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1213372207

Attachments

• fwbettashm1213372207.jpg
    fwbettashm1213372207.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 45

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back