Please Help Id Mbuna Species And Sex

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nut4clife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've waited for my pet to mature before asking for help in identification.  She/he has matured into a very beautiful Mbuna and I would love to add several others.  I've been searching over the last year unsuccessfully.  The closest I've come is the Metriclima family, yet there are stark differences that renders it not of that group in my opinion.  I hope someone out there can come to a definitive ID.  Thanks for your help!
Also any viewers in the No. Va. area in need of a donation of Kenyi Frye please send me a message.  I have 25 in need of a good home!

Attachments

• Pic2 ID resized.jpg
    Pic2 ID resized.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 446
  • Pic5 ID resized.jpg
    Pic5 ID resized.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 426
  • Pic4 ID.jpg
    Pic4 ID.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Kenyi Frye resized.png
    Kenyi Frye resized.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 453
It's hard to see the exact coloring, but from pic #2 and #3 it appears to a male Cynotilapia afra (Dogtooth Cichlid).

As far as behavior, is he very aggressive?  What is his current size?  What size tank are you running?

BiggTexx said:
It's hard to see the exact coloring, but from pic #2 and #3 it appears to a male Cynotilapia afra (Dogtooth Cichlid).

As far as behavior, is he very aggressive?  What is his current size?  What size tank are you running?
Big Texx She/He is only passively aggressive and is currently about about 5.5 inches.  My tank is a 50G.  The coloring is very similar to the female Kenyi except the spine and tail is a fiery rust/auburn color.  I never really see her/him attacking any of the other tank mates except when of late when I approach the tank she/he becomes pushy over the others to be front and center when normally she/he was very shy and would hide.  I have researched the species and I'm inclined to agree with you that it is a variant of the Jalo Reef Cynotilapia afra!  Thanks a lot BT!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back