Please help!! cracked fish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

MrNiceKushBoii

Reaction score
Hi I bought a second hand tank yesterday got home and finally got it set up and noticed it had acouple hairline cracks in it please tell me I donā€™t need to get another tank itā€™s where all the tape is

Attachments

• 49AEDECD-E5A1-4110-8297-7077BCB9ACAD.jpeg
    49AEDECD-E5A1-4110-8297-7077BCB9ACAD.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 64
Hi I bought a second hand tank yesterday got home and finally got it set up and noticed it had acouple hairline cracks in it please tell me I donā€™t need to get another tank itā€™s where all the tape is
Eeeeeeek!

Empty it and empty it NOW!
Every small movement of the water in the tank will push against those cracks, which will grow until CRACK-SPLASH.
Just think of the mess that much water would cause.

...And please, PLEASE, don't put fish in it.

Can you post some pictures of the scratches without the tape?

Cracks or scratches?
Cracks go right through the glass, scratches are only on the surface of the glass.

If they are scratches, how deep are they?
Surface scratches will be fine if they are small (not very long).

If you reduce the water level in the tank by a couple of inches, it will reduce the pressure on the glass and be less likely to break, assuming it's going to.

Can you post some pictures of the scratches without the tape?

Cracks or scratches?
Cracks go right through the glass, scratches are only on the surface of the glass.

If they are scratches, how deep are they?
Surface scratches will be fine if they are small (not very long).

If you reduce the water level in the tank by a couple of inches, it will reduce the pressure on the glass and be less likely to break, assuming it's going to.
Thatā€™s one of the main cracks there

Attachments

• CAD38108-D517-42C4-8194-4B5E593335CC.jpeg
    CAD38108-D517-42C4-8194-4B5E593335CC.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 57
And thereā€™s the other one

Attachments

• B2A4DC60-25F9-4F95-A119-AC1D9247F673.jpeg
    B2A4DC60-25F9-4F95-A119-AC1D9247F673.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 46
Just by the directions they are in and the fact they haven't run to the edge of the tank, I think they are just scratches so should be OK.

Just by the directions they are in and the fact they haven't run to the edge of the tank, I think they are just scratches so should be OK.
Now that Iā€™ve empty it around half way a lot of them look like scratches is it possible this is just a deep scratch

Attachments

• BDF989E8-F022-44F0-8D74-833AFB3C6994.jpeg
    BDF989E8-F022-44F0-8D74-833AFB3C6994.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 38
Grab something like a piece of paper and see it the edge will go in the scratch, then get a pen and mark the paper beside the glass, that will tell you how deep the scratch is. Or run a felt tip pen along it that will high light the scratch so you can see better how deep it is. If it is only shallow the scratch will be fine.

Grab something like a piece of paper and see it the edge will go in the scratch, then get a pen and mark the paper beside the glass, that will tell you how deep the scratch is. Or run a felt tip pen along it that will high light the scratch so you can see better how deep it is. If it is only shallow the scratch will be fine.
Ok thank you so much for the advise

Assuming it is a bow front than its plastic/acrylic and likely is just scratched. If it was glass the crack would run to an edge. There are ways to blend the scratch in plastic. It's like paint correction on a car, involves a lot of buffing and polishing. Obviously only if its on the outside, wouldn't recommend using any compounds on the inside.

I concur, sounds like they are just scratches. Glad they werenā€™t cracks!!

Yeah look like straches would definitely see a crack being 5mm glass thank u so much for everyoneā€™s opinion

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back