PLEASE HELP!!!! Axolotl very sick :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AddiMae

Reaction score
Hello- Today I came home, to my mom telling me the unfortunate news that my Axolotl had jumped out of its container! (we have been keeping it in. Container because we have it’s whole cycling thing wrong) We have no idea how long it had been out, but my dad found it and scooped it back in the water. Supposedly it was fine, and began swimming around, but it’s skin is beginning to peel off and it’s behavior is very odd. It became unresponsive so we put it in the fridge. Everyone on Facebook is telling us to keep it out of the fridge, and to use Indian Almond leaf something? He is a Luc and he is about 4 months old. I’m really worried! Any help or advice is appreciated.
:(

Welcome to the forum :hi:,Can we have a video or a picture? You can send us a video by uploading on youtube copy the link and paste here.

There's no need to put it in the fridge.

If the aquarium is cycling (developing the beneficial filter bacteria), you can have the axolotl in the tank when this happens. However, you need to reduce feeding to 2 times per week. Remove any uneaten food 5 minutes after feeding. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding. You should also monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

------------------
The white stuff on the axo is probably mucous that is being shed. Keeping the axo in clean dechlorinated water will help it shed that mucous and it should have a new layer under it.

Give it a few days and see how it goes. It should recover.

Post some pictures and a short video so we can confirm it is mucous and not skin coming off. If the video won't upload to this site, put it on YouTube and then copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube.

Most reactions

trending

Back