Please help! Axie ich?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kaleidoscope

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm still new to axolotls but it looks like one possibly has ich? I have two babies in a 20 gallon currently. Change the water quite often. Tank stays around 65-67. The other axie seems completely fine. Can anyone tell me if this is what he has and what's the safest way to cure it? Thanks!
miso.jpg

Are you talking about the cream stuff on the head, because that is excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Monitor them and if things get worse, post more pictures.

Are you talking about the cream stuff on the head, because that is excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Monitor them and if things get worse, post more pictures.
i think they might be talking about the scalpy stuff on the side
what are your tank conditions?
Hello,
I'm still new to axolotls but it looks like one possibly has ich? I have two babies in a 20 gallon currently. Change the water quite often. Tank stays around 65-67. The other axie seems completely fine. Can anyone tell me if this is what he has and what's the safest way to cure it? Thanks!View attachment 157064

i think they might be talking about the scalpy stuff on the side
what are your tank conditions?
Yea, the side and the spots on his tail. I haven't done a water test yet because I noticed right before I had to go to work and I'm at work at the moment. But I do a 20-25% change every 1-3 days. It has a sponge filter and a hang on the back filter as well. Last water change was two days ago.

I donā€™t see any ich. I DO see some very lovely iridescent patches, heā€™s mostly like a ā€œhigh iridophoreā€. They are visible mostly in certain angles or lighting. It looks there is some darker mottling that looks, to me, like itā€™s just his coloration.

Yea, the side and the spots on his tail. I haven't done a water test yet because I noticed right before I had to go to work and I'm at work at the moment. But I do a 20-25% change every 1-3 days. It has a sponge filter and a hang on the back filter as well. Last water change was two days ago.
I donā€™t see any ich. I DO see some very lovely iridescent patches, heā€™s mostly like a ā€œhigh iridophoreā€. They are visible mostly in certain angles or lighting. It looks there is some darker mottling that looks, to me, like itā€™s just his coloration.
what olivefish said!
maybe he grew spots or is in the perfect lighting

I had to look up that high iridophore, but it does look a lot like it, especially with it being more splotchy that spotty. That makes me so relieved! Thank you for that information.

I had to look up that high iridophore, but it does look a lot like it, especially with it being more splotchy that spotty. That makes me so relieved! Thank you for that information.
Yeah, no worries! Iā€™m so glad I could help! My golden albino is high iridophore, so is my rose gold albino. Itā€™s very lovely

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back