Please go over my plan

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
Right. When my 18g is up and running, I'll be gatting, amongst some others, 3 cories. I will try to get 2 fm, 1m. Or I could get 2 of each sex. Anyway. Once they are in, I will leave them there for a few weeks. Then I will remove one pair to the spawning tank. This will be about 5 gallons, probably with a small box filter until the eggs are in there. No substrate, and likely an airstone. I'll do a water change with cooler water is nothing happens within a week. Once the eggs are laid, the parents will go back in the community. When the eggs hatch, they will be fed MW and BBS (I will need to find a culture, but its going to be at least a month until this starts). I will also have a couple of apple snails for infoursia (sp.). When they are big enough, they will be fed fruit flies and crushed up flake. I will keep some, and the rest will be offered to my friend or LFSs.

Have I missed anything? Does this sound like an OK plan?

I have two corys that spawned in a 5 gallon(US) tank. One male and one female spent about a day covering the sides of the tank with eggs. About three days later they started hatching. I've been adding Liquifry for food until they seem to be large enough for microworms or fine flake food. It seems like the eggs fuzz up as they are hatching and leave a bunch of debris on the bottom of the tank.

mine spawned even when i wasnt trying :lol: it shouldnt be too hard to get 1m 2f. i bought 3 corys, 1 was m 2 were f. just pick the smallest one you can find, and get 2 fat ones

Edit: isnt the fuzzy stuff fungus?

Hi OohFeeshy :)

Your plans are quite good. There are only a few things I would suggest that you do differently.

First, forget about the snail. The last thing you want is a snail pooping in the tank with the babies. :sick: Their tank must be kept as clean as possible.

If you haven't bought the breeding tank yet, buy a 10 gallon instead of a 5 gallon. A very small tank is harder to keep clean and you will have to get another, larger one before they are grown.

Since they are schooling fish, you can put all of them in the breeding tank. They will be happier that way. When one of them starts to spawn, they all get so excited and have to swim around and inspect all the eggs. :wub: It's also better to have 2 males to a spawning female since this will help to have all the eggs be fertilized. If there are more females that aren't spawning, it's no problem.

Liquifry is good to start them out with and microworms are excellent food too. When they are ready to eat flake, you don't even have to break it up fine. It will sink to the bottom and soften. The fry will nibble around the edges. If you keep a bare bottom tank, it will be easy to see if they are eating it all, or if you are feeding too much.

I've never feed my corys fruit flies, but if they sink, the corys will probably eat them. You can also give them chopped up blackworms or tubifex once they get past the baby stage.

Bronze corys are a good choice to begin with. They spawn before they are full grown too. You will enjoy the experience, I'm sure. :D

Thanks Inch :) It was going to be bare bottom anyway, and when I go out tomorrow I'll get a cheap airpump, a cheap airstone, cheap airline etc. I'll also go to pets at home and work out the price per gallonage of their smaller tanks. And find somewhere to put them....

Most reactions

Back