Please give your suggestions...easiest (non-livebearer) fish to spawn

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChasingFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
You know, like a tank you can just set up as a species community and they will spawn all on their own without egg collecting contraptions, or cones, or mops, etc.

For example, I hear panda corys just breed like bunnies...anyone else?

I have a species tank of scarlet badis and they breed a lot. Females are extremely hard to find anywhere. I had 2 in the beginning, but now have 5 when fry grew up.

So, if you are able to get some females, they breed easily and without induction or interference.

here, I have had livebearer like egg laying from:
pygmy Corys;
beckford's pencilfish;
a large number of Aphyosemion and Fundulopanchax killies;
pumilis gouramis;
zebra danios;
white clouds;
Ancistrus sp,
Bororas maculatus.

There are lots of others for single species tanks. It depends on your water. But you never get buried as you would with common livebearers.

Peacock gudgeons. Super easy.
If you knew how many times I tried to get those $%$#$#$ ^&*^(*& %^%$#$#$ #$#@#@ fish to breed, grrrr. This raises another point - single species tanks produce surprises, and what works for me might not work for you. What works for Rocky drives me crazy.
Maybe I should try them again...

If you knew how many times I tried to get those $%$#$#$ ^&*^(*& %^%$#$#$ #$#@#@ fish to breed, grrrr. This raises another point - single species tanks produce surprises, and what works for me might not work for you. What works for Rocky drives me crazy.
I'm sorryyyyyy 😭😭😂

Like some people having trouble breeding GBRs while mine spawned on day 3 lol.

Anyways, my recommendation would be pygmy cories... Or Betta Channoides/ Albimarginata, if you wanted an AMAZING PERFECT CUTE BEAUTIFUL fish lol. Sorry, just had to. Lol

Bristlenose plecos. They do all the work, You do need caves for them. The dad raises the eggs and when they are finally free swimming babies, he kicks them out. BN to not predate their young.

I don't know, I had 10 BN babies when they were tiny, and 4 when I moved the tank. oh I watched Elephants and Termites on Nature tonight, I wonder if Rocky has to raise the GH and temperature to get his killifish to breed?

When I was down to just one male and one female Bristle before one of them died, the final spawn was over 100 eggs and most of them were viable.

I work with Hypancsitrus now and having sold three of my 7 breeding groups last year and I still have over 200 assorted size offspring. The nl;y produce about 15 eggs per spawn with most being viable. 20 is a big deal and a dozen is not that rare either.

I never set out to spawn my fish. It just turns out my well water apparently contain a natural aphrodiseac for softer water fish. I have anegel, discus, 3 different danio species, 3 small rainbow species, rosy barbs, bristlenose, one farlowella species, P. nicholsi, sterbai, aeneus, and a couple more corys, P, compta, 5 species of Hypancistrus all spawn. And only 10 of them were species I was hoping and trying to get to spawn.

A lot of being successful at spawning fish depends on the parameters of your water. Pretty much all fish want to spawn. So our job is not to do things that might discourage or prevent this. After that it is diet. We control it and for most fish it need to be good quality and the right food. After water params diet is likely the most important factor for getting spawns for fish.

Farlowella vitatta dad keeping the eggs clean. This was my high tech CO2 added planted tank. I just got 3 farlos because they look so neat and they eat algae. The spawns were a bonus.

farloeggs5+mouthing.jpg

Spawn something you like and that is happy to be in your water params. Feed them a high quality diet and give them the proper living conditions and you can watch them multiply :D

Why "easiest"?

Thinking about it, if you want a fish to breed, you first find out if it can breed in captivity, or in your water. And then, if you really like that fish, you go for it. Easy success with a boring fish is dull. You get a lot of them, and so what? You're emptying the tank out before you know it. It's more fun if things are a little difficult, but possible.

If you get Betta coccina, uou may have a 1 in 10 chance of keeping them alive, and 1 in 100 of breeding them. But what a test of skill if you succeed. That's a good feeling. You should go for good feelings, and all the frustrations of failure that lead to them.

If you get Betta coccina, uou may have a 1 in 10 chance of keeping them alive, and 1 in 100 of breeding them.
Welll I agree with everything else you said, but the 1/10 chances of keeping them alive seems a bit untrue. I get they're not completely beginner fish, but they're quite hardy. Breeding them is another story...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back