Playsand vs Aquatic sand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi. I've read a few people's comments on sand -- suggesting play sand is just as good and less expensive.

I just want to double-check with experienced members, have you used play-sand in your aquariums longterm and with good results?

Are there issues with finer sands?

How would someone know if the sand advertised is aqua safe without chemicals or additives?

What should I look for on ebay/amazon (I'm going to order because I don't have a car and delivery is easiest for heavy items)

Thanks
Tonya

If you can find a way to transport it, it's much cheaper to buy a 50 pound back of Quikrete play sand in person at a hardware store ($5-6) than it is to get on Amazon where it goes for $30 and up.

There is obviously nothing wrong with aquarium river sand, just make sure it is inert (some is calcareous for a reason), and avoid white or black, both cause stress to most fish. The only industrial sand safe for all fish is quality play sand because it is super-refined. In NA a quality brand is Quikrete Play Sand; it comes in two colours, tan and dark grey mix. Both are fine. I changed all my tanks from fine gravel to this sand about 9 or 10 years ago with no issues, but much happier cories and loaches.

I use Argos play sand for my tanks, works really well. Last time I needed to buy some it was a fiver a bag and 15kg I think 🤔

Just gave it a good rinse in a bucket and it was fine 😊

There is obviously nothing wrong with aquarium river sand, just make sure it is inert (some is calcareous for a reason), and avoid white or black, both cause stress to most fish. The only industrial sand safe for all fish is quality play sand because it is super-refined. In NA a quality brand is Quikrete Play Sand; it comes in two colours, tan and dark grey mix. Both are fine. I changed all my tanks from fine gravel to this sand about 9 or 10 years ago with no issues, but much happier cories and loaches.
😣 I was told white causes stress and black makes color pop, I just filled my new tanks with 15kg of black gravel - although I sprinkled dwarf hair grass to cover it... So if the seeds germinate well there should not be any blacl visible to the fish.... Is that OK do ha think? For the sand its for my shrimp tank which currently has the pea sized pebbles which came with the tank, I saw that sand is better and doesn't allow for food to go under the pebbles, apparently this is the cause of the detritus on the glass.

Dwarf hair grass isn't something that grows too well from seed in my experience. It's a high intensity light lover and plenty of fertiliser is necessary.
I planted some of the Tropica hair grass into a sand based tank and it's really struggling. In fact it's going backwards as far as I can see. Even with root tabs.
Another point with hair grass. If it's going to cover the entire bottom, you really shouldn't be keeping the likes of corys. They struggle to go about the business of snuffling through sand to find food. They just can't get to the sand when the roots have grown.
As far as sand goes though, I have used a couple of different makes at no more than a fiver for a bag. They are always labelled as toxin free, as surely they must be when children are playing in the stuff. However if I was to buy more, I'd go for some with a larger grain size that would move around the tank bottom less, and provide some stability for plant roots. Not quite pea gravel but rounded sand particles with a decent size to them.

Definitely learned now as I just went to an aggregates place directed by the aquatics store service person across the road.. Looking for a few cobbles for hardscape as I couldn't find any round large stones online... And there I saw black asphalt chippings labelled "lava rock".. Which I consider one of the best things to have in an aquarium... £4 in a bag of 20kg....and a couple weeks ago I'd paid £24 on eBay for "coarse black aquarium gravel" which looks exactly the same! But I swear I do my research online usually as I really don't know about where to go otherwise... And i ALWAYS ALWAYS spend AGES and finally make a decision... On the lowest cost .... And ALWAYS ALWAYS weeks later see something in person that is 5x cheaper and exactly the same OE even better... WHYYY do I never see it BEFOREEE when I NEED IT? Its like a curse or something. Lol

Also the cobble stones are £6 for a large bag, (which they call a small bag as they sell much larger), and I think that's the minimum I can buy... So I have to have about 30-40 cobbles when I really just want 5. But again, like I have no idea where I can buy just 5 cobbles. Would be great if they'd let me just buy a few for a £1 but don't think they do business that way.

So, 30 cobbles it is. Maybe I can sell 5 at a time on eBay for other people wanting the same.

Definitely learned now as I just went to an aggregates place directed by the aquatics store service person across the road.. Looking for a few cobbles for hardscape as I couldn't find any round large stones online... And there I saw black asphalt chippings labelled "lava rock".. Which I consider one of the best things to have in an aquarium... £4 in a bag of 20kg....and a couple weeks ago I'd paid £24 on eBay for "coarse black aquarium gravel" which looks exactly the same! But I swear I do my research online usually as I really don't know about where to go otherwise... And i ALWAYS ALWAYS spend AGES and finally make a decision... On the lowest cost .... And ALWAYS ALWAYS weeks later see something in person that is 5x cheaper and exactly the same OE even better... WHYYY do I never see it BEFOREEE when I NEED IT? Its like a curse or something. Lol

Also the cobble stones are £6 for a large bag, (which they call a small bag as they sell much larger), and I think that's the minimum I can buy... So I have to have about 30-40 cobbles when I really just want 5. But again, like I have no idea where I can buy just 5 cobbles. Would be great if they'd let me just buy a few for a £1 but don't think they do business that way.

So, 30 cobbles it is. Maybe I can sell 5 at a time on eBay for other people wanting the same.

Am I correct in assuming these substances are not the "substrate" but simply additional aquacaping materials? The overall substrate needs to be sand for some fish, or gravel no larger than pea gravel can work for some other fish.

I've used pool filter sand before with no problem and am now using aquarium sand which is finer. It just depends on your preference

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back