Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TillyB

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding one of my six platies. I have had these around 2 months and they seem to have settled well, one however in the past 2 days has started chasing the others around and has developed a larger belly.

I have attached a picture, do people think this platy is pregnant or is there something else going on?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230118_111208.jpg
    20230118_111208.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 18
Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding one of my six platies. I have had these around 2 months and they seem to have settled well, one however in the past 2 days has started chasing the others around and has developed a larger belly.

I have attached a picture, do people think this platy is pregnant or is there something else going on?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Tilly. Platys are great fish. Colorful, hardy and usually very peaceful. If you got these fish at the local pet store, then the fish is definitely pregnant. Males and females are raised together at the pet store. That's why you never need to buy males. You have plenty of them when the female drops her fry. Aggression is natural. So, get some floating plants at the fish store. Keep the tank water extra clean with slightly warmer water when you perform your water changes and change a little more than normal. The slightly warmer water will help calm the fish and and the added plants will give the new fry a hiding place from the adults and for the adults that are being picked on. One more thing, start feeding a bit more than normal. It's been my experience that well fed adult fish show little interest in the fry.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back