Platy X Swordtail Breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dyood

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a female panda platy which is one of my friends favorite fish, I would like to x breed her with my swordtail, but it seems like there is no interest in her,

Dont worry I won't give them to a shop, or sell them without people knowing they are x bred even though majority are anyway,

This is more for personal and friends benefits.

I have 2 female swords aswell which do get pregnant frequently anyway to help it go for the platy?

Sometimes it may take a little bit longer before the interest in the platy will be triggered. But it also occurs that there´s totally no interest present. If the panda platy is a virgin or clean (no sperm packet storage present) than it should be possible to crossbreed her with a swordtail.

You may want to isolate those two fish, she maybe more "attractive" when she is the only girl in town! (the tank)

Platies and swordtails come in the same colour patterns already. There's no need to hybridise them. Ask your local pet shop to get in platies or swordtails in the colours you want.

Platies and swordtails come in the same colour patterns already. There's no need to hybridise them. Ask your local pet shop to get in platies or swordtails in the colours you want.
But you can still get some nice hybrids from a cross.

I just had to think of some topic on facebook last year. It was an american fb group. They´ve showed a green lantarn swordtail and the topic starter was curious what kind of livebearer it was. Despite of the fact that I´ve claimed it was a female green lantarn swordtail, a serious number of smarty-pants claimed by all means it was a green lantarn platy. It turned out that the ones who claimed this were all americans (no offence, btw). And I had the strong feeling that these just knew the ones from the stores. I do know that in the States less fancy varieties of livebearers are offered in comparison to Europe. To them it couldn't be a swortdtail but it had to be a platy with this coloration. Which is weird for green lantarn swordtails are available in the States as well but not every lfs's got them. We've got this green lantarn swordtail (which we call differently in Europe, btw) as one of the common fancy commercial swordtail strains. The same goes for the green lantarn platy btw. You could also see the difference between the body shape but that specific number of smarty-pants continued claiming that it couldn't be a swordtail. And they claimed that the topic starter shouldn't be listening to me. At some point I just didn't put any effort in it anymore for if some novice aquarists (that's the way they seemed to me in this case after some dumb remarks of them towards me and to me it showed that they had a lack of knowledge) that just have the need to show themselves off as being an expert, I think it's a waste of time and energy of mine to give a further reply. Despite of the fact that I've let go of it, it does bother me as being a passionate livebearer keeper and breeder for over 45 years that certain novice aquarists see themselves as an expert within this field after they've surfed the internet on some items. But that's something that will always remain at forums. I'm not claiming that I know everything for I don't. Also I've got still a lot to learn after being dedicated for so long. But I do know the difference between a swordtail and a platy. Btw, not all fancy strains of swordtails are a crossbreeding of swordtail x platy. There were also mutations that were used in linebreeding.

If there are no other female than molly, they will start mating on there own. I have them once but they eat all of their fry...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back