Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
๐Ÿถ Click here to enter! ๐Ÿฐ

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month ๐Ÿ†
2x Fish of the Month ๐ŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hello! I had a pair of xiphophorus maculatus that had 2 fry. more are on the way , i think.
they are friendlier than the thriving colony of helleri hybrids in there, the neon variety of swordtails
they follow each other around, and they don't school around with the swordtails that much

Is there a ratio of one male to 20+ females like in the helleri population? or is the ratio different?

I will post pictures sooner or later.

One male to 20 plus females?? Wow, I didn't know that! I think only @emeraldking can help you with this question! I'm just here to ask for photos of the fish, because they sound pretty interesting!

One male to 20 plus females?? Wow, I didn't know that! I think only @emeraldking can help you with this question! I'm just here to ask for photos of the fish, because they sound pretty interesting!
Hello AdoraBelle. You don't need to worry about the ratio. Just buy females at the LFS. Males and females are raised together, so by buying females only, you get your male fish when the females drop their fry.

10 Tanks (now 11)

Hello AdoraBelle. You don't need to worry about the ratio. Just buy females at the LFS. Males and females are raised together, so by buying females only, you get your male fish when the females drop their fry.

10 Tanks (now 11)
Aaaww, thank you! I'm not planning on getting any of these, I'm just curious to see the ones Sgooosh has! But thank you so much! :D

Aaaww, thank you! I'm not planning on getting any of these, I'm just curious to see the ones Sgooosh has! But thank you so much! :D
Here's the baby fish!
The video is meant for an iphone so it is upright
when i made the video i thought they were variatus, turns out they're not

The sex ratio doesn't really matter.
Males and females are raised together, so by buying females only, you get your male fish when the females drop their fry.
True. There's a good chance that both sexes are present in the offspring.

They really are! What light are you using?? I need one!
finnex planted + 247 crv
it is very customizable, and I made it to look like the sunset at the right time :)
The sex ratio doesn't really matter.

True. There's a good chance that both sexes are present in the offspring.
what will the babies most likely grow up as?
for example if I have 100 ungendered platy fry, what will be the female: male ratio?

what will the babies most likely grow up as?
for example if I have 100 ungendered platy fry, what will be the female: male ratio?
That's not something someone can estimate. You could have a majority of one of the sexes or even just one sex. In general, if you want to influence the sex ratio of new offspring, best to regulate the water temperature during the whole pregnancy. This is not a 100% guarantee but most of the times it does work. In platies, it means that if we want to have more males, the water temperature should be kept higher than normal. if kept cooler, more females will be born. With normal temperatures between 22ยฐC-24ยฐC, the sex ratio will be 50:50 to 60:40. The only one who can spoil the outcome is Mother Nature. That's the only factor we can not influence.
Regulation the water temperature after they are born will be of no use to influence the sex.

That's not something someone can estimate. You could have a majority of one of the sexes or even just one sex. In general, if you want to influence the sex ratio of new offspring, best to regulate the water temperature during the whole pregnancy. This is not a 100% guarantee but most of the times it does work. In platies, it means that if we want to have more males, the water temperature should be kept higher than normal. if kept cooler, more females will be born. With normal temperatures between 22ยฐC-24ยฐC, the sex ratio will be 50:50 to 60:40. The only one who can spoil the outcome is Mother Nature. That's the only factor we can not influence.
Regulation the water temperature after they are born will be of no use to influence the sex.
thanks! that is very useful. i like the females coloring, it is a little more yellow and nice, but it gets pretty hot here...

for the swordtails, why is it that every fry turned out to be female? there is at least 10 full grown giant females and around 20 store sized females, and tons of fry

for the swordtails, why is it that every fry turned out to be female? there is at least 10 full grown giant females and around 20 store sized females, and tons of fry
Sometimes it's genetic that just one sex will be produced. But even if they are all females, there could be females that are XX females or YY females. YY females can change into males. But XX females with a genotype Aa can also change into male. XX females with genotype AA will remain female all their lives.
The problem is that from the outside you won't be able to see what kind of sex genotype a female is. But whatever kind of swordtail female, they all will show a gravid spot. If you see no gravid spot while the specimen is already adult size, it must be a late male.

Sometimes it's genetic that just one sex will produced. But even if they are all females, there could be females that are XX females or YY females. YY females can change into males. But XX females with a genotype Aa can also change into male. XX females with genotype AA will remain female all their lives.
The problem is that from the outside you won't be able to see what kind of sex genotype a female is. But whatever kind of swordtail female, they all will show a gravid spot. If you see no gravid spot while the specimen is already adult size, it must be a late male.
I think it is genetic then...
there is only a father and his many daughters

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back