Platy Preggers Permanently?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
I have a platy that I got on March 9th, already quite pregnant. She finally started dropping fry about 2 weeks ago and I probably have a couple dozen fry of various ages. She's still massively pregnant and squared off, and as of the past few days is just lying on the bottom of the tank and has labored breathing. I haven't seen her eat in that time either.

Is there some way to, well, squeeze her a bit to help the fry out? I really don't want to lose her as she's really beautiful, powder blue Mickey Mouse with an orange and black tail.

Any experienced help appreciated! 
sad.png

I think that adding any pressure to her might stress her more and kill her, but if she is in labour for the past few days then there is an issue with some of the fry stuck (my guess). IMO i think that if she doesn't have the fry and is still in labour (heavy breathing etc) then she can die that way, and also gently pushing on her to try to help her along could either help her or make it worse.
if you think you are going to lose her, then gently hold/push on where the fry are kept pushing them towards the exit, but don't put pressure so that they move more inwards in the body. Or maybe besides putting pressure on her, there are fry stuck and all she needs is the exit hole a massage to move whats blocking. First i would try just gently moving around the exit hole of where the fry come out then leave her be for an hour and see what happens, then if nothing and she seems to be somewhat better wait until the next day. Then if she seems worse after the hour wait then apply pressure. in the end she might die/live if you don't do something or die/live if you do, do something.
i've only done something similar to a very pregnant guppy that just passed; thinking that if i go the fry out in time they would make it. i was too late and i was 10 at the time.. so your judgement will be best.
good luck, hope she gets better

Do a quick water/temperature test just to make sure she's not holding off the babies for a more natural reason (mainly the temperature).

There's been a lot of people recently with guppies that get like this, but i don't think it's anything new.

I have no experience with physically helping with birth - especially with fish - i have no idea about how this would go. Research, others will have tried.

What i would do is to notch the temp down by 1 or 2 degrees. A guy in my lfs told me it helps it go as smoothly as possible. Hope she makes it.

I netted her and gave a little squeeze, and out popped about half a dozen fry. I'm going to see how she is in the morning.

This Old Spouse said:
I netted her and gave a little squeeze, and out popped about half a dozen fry. I'm going to see how she is in the morning.
Great to see you had some instant success, hopefully the extra room reduces her stress and the rest come out naturally.

Ype. the rest of them, if there are any more that is, should come flying out now. Not literally obviously lol

Poor Momma passed away this afternoon. Stress or whatever was just too much for her. I'm angry because she was a real beauty and very interactive. And now the male is zooming all over the tank. Sigh.
rip.gif

Sorry for your loss. Is quite common for them to die after birth. So Sad, 

rip.gif

WILDER said:
Sorry for your loss. Is quite common for them to die after birth. So Sad, 

rip.gif

especially if they get bound like this.  Sorry TOS.

I do indeed have fry; probably a couple dozen from what I can tell, and they all seem to be doing well. The last few that popped out of momma don't seem to have survived, which is no surprise. My concern now is the adult male, who seems to be going a little crazy in there all by himself surrounded by babies he can't eat. Ah, well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back