Platy mating dance

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, do male platys little to show off a bit before mating? My two males are fanning out their fins and pecking each other and swimming in really jerky movements. (They are perfectly normal when the other male isn't around). My female isn't impressed. I think she'd actually roll her eyes of she could

Males do this to display dominance over the other. They will do this even without a female around.

If you have 2 males and 1 female... you have an issue as the female will be harassed.

Best is 1 male to 2+ females. So perhaps get more females

This is how the pet shop sold them to me I did try to buy two more females but because of Covid they were not selling live animals. I've now got some platy babies so I'm hoping the majority will be female and even the numbers out a bit. When should I be able to accurately tell the sex of my fry? They are about 7 weeks old now.

Hi, do male platys little to show off a bit before mating? My two males are fanning out their fins and pecking each other and swimming in really jerky movements. (They are perfectly normal when the other male isn't around). My female isn't impressed. I think she'd actually roll her eyes of she could
In general livebearer males with an elongated gonopodium will hardly till even none court before mating. Livebearer males with a shorter gonopodium mostly do court before an actual mating will take place.
collagegonopodium2.jpg

Males with an elongated gonopodium ( like 3 photo's overhere show) can direct their gonopodium instantly towards the female genitals. While males with a shorter gonopodium (like in the top left photo) have to make more effort to reach the female genitals. And to make the females come closer, males with a shorter gonopodium will try to seduce a female by making courtship. Unless, they can approach a female in a sneaky way, they leave out the courtship. But it's always the female that will decide wether an actual mating will take place or not.

Ah, mine have got little ones so I guess that's why they need to show off!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back