Platy Hiding All The Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

searmusic

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to tropical fish keeping and to the forums so be gentle!!

My adult female platy has suddenly started hiding all the time. She's not currently pregnant. She was about 2 weeks ago, and the difference in body shape is clear even for a novice like me. She's been hiding a week now. She doesn't come out for food. 

I tested the water and found the nitrate levels were a little high - about 40ppm. So I did a 20% water change 2 days ago and she showed an immediate improvement, came out and even eat some food. Yesterday she seemed much better all day.

But today, she's back in hiding. So I tested the water again, and found the nitrate levels were even higher - about 50 now. Then I tested my tap water and got the same result. So it would seem that was never the issue. 

The tank is 100L. I've had it for 6 months and cycled it properly before adding fish. The pH is around 8.0, ammonia level is at 0.25ppm and the nitrite level is 0ppm. Temp is 24deg. I've changed filters as instructed and 10% of the water once a month

There are 4 zebra danios in it, and 2 fully adult platys, a male and the troublesome female. There are also 2 juvenile platys born in the tank. The larger is now almost as big as the adults, is female, and pregnant. The smaller is about half as big. I think it's also a female but it's not quite big enough for me to be certain.

I'd been wanting to add more fish, but don't want to risk it if there's any possibility she's ill. When I have been able to look at her I can't see any symptoms. Her scales, fins and eyes all look normal, although she's a bit thin. When she did come out yesterday she seemed to swim fine.

So what could be the problem? Could it be related to the younger platys reaching maturity? Why would a water change temporarily cause an improvement? Is it ok to carry on and add more fish or should I wait til she either improves or dies?

Thanks for any help!!

In my personal experience having the wrong female to make ratio with platys can really stress the females out as he will constantly be trying to mate with her so she may be seeking hiding spots to have a bit of peace, maybe try adding another female?

Its the ammonia level you should worry about, do another large w/c to reduce this down to zero,there is no need to change the filter has they recommend,this will only mess your stats around.W/changes are recommended weekly and depending what filter you have,just give the media a swish in used tank water.Media never needs replacing (well only when its literally falling apart)

You platy is perking up after a w/c due to the ammonia level being reduce,test the water daily and if you get a reading above zero for either ammonia &/or nitrite then do a large w/c.

Dont add anymore fish until you get zero readings for ammonia & nitrite or else you'll have more problems...

Well the male seems to be constantly following the younger female around now (insert your own sexist joke there :) !!!) and doesn't show any interest in the older even when she does emerge. Besides, if I'm correct about the youngest being a female also, my current ratio is 3 females to 1 male. When I googled this before I read that 2:1 is the best ratio. I suppose I could be wrong about the youngest which certainly could explain it, but it's anal fin certainly looks more like a female's to me.

Welcome to the forum Searmusic.
I am afraid that I must agree with Harelquins' suggestion that you get no more fish until you get your ammonia under control completely. I am afraid that yu gave us the answer in your first post when you said this
I've changed filters as instructed and 10% of the water once a month

That means that you are starting a fresh cycle about once a month, when you change the filter instead of simply rinsing it in used tank water and re-using it, and are not doing enough water changes to accommodate that uncycled filter. In practical terms, a 10% water change is almost useless unless you do that daily. If you are only doing monthly water changes, go for at least a 50% water change. It will take more than that if you keep tossing your cycled filter media.

Welcome to the forum Searmusic.
I am afraid that I must agree with Harelquins' suggestion that you get no more fish until you get your ammonia under control completely. I am afraid that yu gave us the answer in your first post when you said this
I've changed filters as instructed and 10% of the water once a month

That means that you are starting a fresh cycle about once a month, when you change the filter instead of simply rinsing it in used tank water and re-using it, and are not doing enough water changes to accommodate that uncycled filter. In practical terms, a 10% water change is almost useless unless you do that daily. If you are only doing monthly water changes, go for at least a 50% water change. It will take more than that if you keep tossing your cycled filter media.

Ok that's my fault, I should have been clearer.

The tank is a Juwel Rekord 800, and the filter consists of 4 sponges. The white wool part is changed weekly, the black carbon monthly, the blue filter sponge rinsed every 6-8 weeks and the green nitrate sponge changed every 6-8 weeks. This I have done, plus I've ensured the blue and green never get changed at the same time as recommended to keep the bacteria levels sufficiently high. So I'm not starting a fresh cycle every month.

As for water changes I'm very confused about those as I keep reading conflicting information. The book I bought said 10-15% once a month so that's what I'd been doing. Now I read things about weekly changes, 50% changes, etc. So who's right here?

As for that ammonia reading, it was the one I took before the water change. I didn't bother to test it again after cos at that stage I was under the mistaken belief the nitrate was the problem. I will test it again this evening and report back, I've been crazy busy at work just lately which is not making this easier. At least I understand now that you're telling me a 0 ammonia reading is paramount.

Ok, did another ammonia test. I think maybe my test kit has been misleading me. A yellow colour is supposedly a 0 reading and my samples always looked a little green which I was reading as 0.25. But it was exactly the same today, so I tested my tap water as a comparison. Which also looked slightly green. So either my ammonia levels have been 0 all along or there is ammonia in my tap water.

The platy has been coming out for food the last few days, although she still looks thin and hides 95% of the time.

A hint of green is exactly what you will see with a 0.25 ppm reading.
Water changes depend greatly on how you are managing your tank. If you have lots of fast growing plants, water changes can be far apart. This tank gets a nice big 50% change about once in 6 months, mostly to replenish trace minerals in the water.
XenotaeniaCrop.jpg

If you have an unplanted or lightly planted tank and an average stocking level, try starting with a 25% weekly water change and adjust as needed to maintain the nitrates no more than 20 ppm above your tap water reading.

If you have a heavy fish stocking level you will be doing heavy weekly water changes, not tiny little 25% ones. It is likely to take more like a 0% water change in that case.

If you have water quality problems, unplug the heater and filter and drain the tank until the fish are having trouble finding a puddle on the substrate where they can rest upright then refill with temperature matched dechlorinated water. Once the tank is full again, you can plug your heater and filter back into the wall connection. The fish will perk right up and the water quality will be greatly improved.

Ok, did another ammonia test. I think maybe my test kit has been misleading me. A yellow colour is supposedly a 0 reading and my samples always looked a little green which I was reading as 0.25. But it was exactly the same today, so I tested my tap water as a comparison. Which also looked slightly green. So either my ammonia levels have been 0 all along or there is ammonia in my tap water.

The platy has been coming out for food the last few days, although she still looks thin and hides 95% of the time.
just a thought what are you using to test the water, only asking because I used to use the test strips and found these didn't work the ammonia one never worked always showed the same, I took a sample to the lps and found it wasn't true readings, have you got a lps that does testing's worth taking some to check, I now use the liquid tester works lots better though doesn't pick it up as much as the one the use at the aquatic centre near me, which I proved on sun when I lost 5 fish over night found out my pump wasn't working properly so had a nirite spike

if I was you I would do a 70% water change not touch the filter and see how it goes,
hope she picks up soon x

I'm using the API master test kit, which is a liquid tester. I think the kit itself is fine, it's just the printed card which has the colours for comparison is proving a bit misleading. Testing tap water and using that as a comparison seems much more useful to me. Doing it that way I can confirm that NONE of my readings - ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, are reading any higher than that of my tap water. I can't really see how massive water changes would help, other than further stressing out an already stressed fish. Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something here.

I'm using the API master test kit, which is a liquid tester. I think the kit itself is fine, it's just the printed card which has the colours for comparison is proving a bit misleading. Testing tap water and using that as a comparison seems much more useful to me. Doing it that way I can confirm that NONE of my readings - ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, are reading any higher than that of my tap water. I can't really see how massive water changes would help, other than further stressing out an already stressed fish. Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something here.
the platy showing some improvement when you did a change doesn't that say something plus when I did my big water change all my fish was lots happier so it wouldn't do any harm in trying it
could be a idea as well to get 1 or 2 more female platies I like 1 male to 4 female so its better than the 1 to 2

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I just added a third platy tonight and she was quite inquisitive and excited at first. She has since moved to hide behind the filter and only comes out a few seconds at time. The other two platys (m,f) are zipping about like normal.

Tested the water yesterday and got a clear reading, tested again just now and everything seems to be in order.

I wonder if she is just shy?

maybe your other fish are chasing or annoying her and she is hiding from them?

it might simply be that the male chooses to pick on her more or she is just a bit shy although its crazy fish are little people and develop there own personalities she might just be a bit shy but i would definetely take some advice from a more experienced member who knows more about platys than i do (most people) if your other female is hiding then it might be that the smaller fry is male and has started to pick on the females

to see if it is the male or no that it stressing her can you seperate her off for a week or two to see if she starts moving around more

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back