Platy Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

my platy's not well and I can't figure out why. There was ich in the tank at first and she was flecking occasionally but now she isn't flecking but tries to scratch the top of her head once in a while. Today I noticed the left side of her head looks odd as though stuff has come off from scratching. I can't really get a good look because she's white in colour :S She's also very frightened and hides most of the time, although she'll come out to eat.

Water stats: ammonia & nitrites both 0ppm.

I dosed a fungal med today just incase it's anything fungal. Any ideas as to what this may be? Or if it's ich?

Fish flash/scratch themselves because of many different reasons starting from water quality issues,water contamination with chemicals, parasites(not necessarilly ich), bacterial infection, a lot of things.
I would do a good water change if I were you. Fungal infection is normally visible so no point for that.
When you don't know what it is, do a water change. If you do think there is a problem and prefer to medicate, it's better to use wide range medication that won't be too hard on the fish and doesn't affect the filter bacteria.

Thanks snazy. I did do a large wc and I just did another one today. She's still resting at the bottom however the top of her head looks slightly better (no fluffy stuff). I've never seen anything like this before :( Would adding salt help in any way?

If all your fish are salt tolerant like platies, guppies, mollies, they you can add salt temporarily, it may help and it has helped in worse cases I've had in the past.
Keep up with partial water changes too and watch for any signs of sickness. but if the fluff is gone, then that may be an improvement itself.
To be honest, the first possibilities of any type of sickness are bacterial and parasitic infection if it is a sickness at all and not a water irritant issue. Fungal is less likely, hence me commenting on the fungal meds, but is a possibility I guess although it's normally preceeded by the previous too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back