Platy Hasn't Given Birth Yet?

boberga

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So the pineapple sword tail platies that I posted a picture of fron 7 Months ago haven't given birth to any fry except for the 4 a month after that post, but its been just about 6 months now and I haven't seen any fry but both platies have been squared off for all those months and still had a massive gravid spot all this time. I moved one of the platies to a spare 10 gallon tank by herself to see if I get any fry within the next 2 months. Anyone know why this is happening?

Is there anyone else in the tank that could be gobbling up fry before you've had a chance to spot them? Have the females ever looked slightly smaller again? My biggest molly has looked pretty much constantly gravid since her first lot of fry, she sometimes looks a little slimmer if she drops a load at once but only slightly! They only roughly seem to stick to the once-a-month but there's always a few at other odd times - I don't know whether she can fertilise eggs at any point and so be carrying fry at different stages of development ( somebody else confirm or discredit that thought! ) There have been a few times when she's looked a teensy bit smaller so presumably dropped some but I've never seen them...one of my other mollies looked very pregnant for a few months before she started dropping fry. I know they can hold on to them when they're stressed etc. but I don't imagine they can do that for 6 months!! Sorry that's not more helpful...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back