Platy fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My platy fry are getting big now. Love these little guys but I think my tank is now over populated so I need to either rehome some fish or get a bigger tank

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_223359.jpg
    IMG_20200804_223359.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200804_223312.jpg
    IMG_20200804_223312.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200804_223333.jpg
    IMG_20200804_223333.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 82
See if your local fish store will take them in.
Make sure its not pets at home as they will take in the fry and give them out as feeder fry. Happened to my fry.
In my profile picture, my swordtail female (deceased) with the black tail/fins, she gave birth to many fry populations and I made the mistake giving them away to pets at home.
When I came back the next day to see how they're doing, every single fry was gone and I asked a worker there what they did with them and he replied that they have given them away as feeder fry.
Now, I have one of her fry, named Nugget and I'm not gonna give him to anyone as he's one of the last frys that has survived and he reminds me of her.
Try asking at Absolute Aquatics or Maidenhead Aquatics if they'll take the fry in, don't give any fish to pets at home.

Hey, my local pets at home won't take fish anyway but I'll speak to Maidenhead as we have one nearby. I think I might get a bigger tank though.. any excuse eh! I don't know what size I need though.

I have been lucky to have a LFS that will take them and give fish food in return. How many fish do you have and what is the size of your tank?
My tank is 35L.. I have 5 platy, 3 small minnows and now 8( that I know of) platy fry. I also have a Plec and a nerite snail. Now the fry are getting bigger it's clear they need more room

What size would you recommend?

Your adults will need a bigger tank alone, plecos get quite large, even the smallest pleco species gets too large for a 10 gallon/35 litre tank. If you keep the pleco and adult platies and minnows, check what pleco species you have and how large they get as adults first, then look for the minimum tank size they need. At least a 20 gallon for most plecos, 30 plus would be great.

Then you'd have room to keep some of the fry if you wanted, but also remember that they're gonna keep breeding, and the more you keep, the more breeding, and they'll breed you out of house and home, and you'll always need a bigger tank ;)

If you get a larger tank for the adults and any fry you keep, the ten gallon would make a nice grow out tank for fry until they're large enough to go to the store or be sold.

Sorry, when I say gallon, I mean US gallons. So 20 US gallons is 75 litres, 30 gallons/113 litre.
We use litres here, but the US still works mostly in gallons, and in the hobby when gallons is used it means US gallons. Just to add confusion to the imperial/metric system fun.

I would personally get a 29g tank. They are easy to find and maintain. What species is your Pleco?

I would personally get a 29g tank. They are easy to find and maintain. What species is your Pleco?
I've no idea to be honest. My tank isnt heated, it's temperate so I don't know if that makes a difference to the species I can keep. I'll try and get a good photo of him. He's not much bigger than my platies but his head splays out a bit like a ray of that makes sense.

Ok, I've done some research and my pleco isn't a pleco (as sold) it's a Hillstream Loach. Apparently they only grow to about 3-4 inches but like to live in groups of 3. I'll need to get a bigger tank now to get little Wesley Jnr some buddies.

Ok, I've done some research and my pleco isn't a pleco (as sold) it's a Hillstream Loach. Apparently they only grow to about 3-4 inches but like to live in groups of 3. I'll need to get a bigger tank now to get little Wesley Jnr some buddies.
Sounds good. Glad you did some research, and found out what you needed. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back