Platy Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I’ve been keeping red ramshorn snails in these small little setups. These four are just some of the small ones. I’ve got two snails in the little ones, around 10 in the big ones. I use them as temporary “breeding” setups, and remove the adults once I see babies. My question is, would it be acceptable to add one or two baby platy to these? (The big ones) I have a grow out tank set up, but I was curious about adding a single fish to see how it goes. Do they do okay at room temp, or do they need to be raised in a tropical environment?
DAB2E66A-F57D-4BB6-8AB5-780055AD6390.jpeg
330E298D-7DA5-4032-89CB-38D552EAF44B.jpeg
0E05F77C-85CE-4107-9E20-D1D65F46E0D9.jpeg

One thing to remember with livebearers fry is that the cooler the water, the slower they grow. At least it is so with the guppy I have. If they are very small and removed once they get bigger (I would say 2 weeks or less) it might be fine. I used to have my guppy fry in a plastic gallon tank that floated in the main tank for grow out. But you might have to do small and more frequent water changes.

This fish's temp range is about 70 F at lower range, I believe.

One thing to remember with livebearers fry is that the cooler the water, the slower they grow. At least it is so with the guppy I have. If they are very small and removed once they get bigger (I would say 2 weeks or less) it might be fine. I used to have my guppy fry in a plastic gallon tank that floated in the main tank for grow out. But you might have to do small and more frequent water changes.

This fish's temp range is about 70 F at lower range, I believe.
would they still grow to a normal size, even if they were growing slower?

would they still grow to a normal size, even if they were growing slower?
As far as I know. But with the temps you have I don't think I would risk it. 68 is pretty low to keep livebearers. They would be at very high risk of disease when kept outside their range.

As far as I know. But with the temps you have I don't think I would risk it. 68 is pretty low to keep livebearers. They would be at very high risk of disease when kept outside their range.
Fair enough. It’s probably better to keep them in a heated tank, as not to put them through unneeded stress and a small space. Thanks for the advice.

Fair enough. It’s probably better to keep them in a heated tank, as not to put them through unneeded stress and a small space. Thanks for the advice.
I think they do make heaters you can put under fish bowls if you really want to. But that would defeat the purpose of such a low tech set up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back