Platy Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Isabelle1989

Reaction score
Good afternoon

I am a novice to keeping platy fish. My Platy gave birth to around 18 platy fry before she died. We presume she must have died during birth which occurred during the night whilst we slept. The fry were birthed in a separate tank.
Apart from a couple of deaths I now have 15 platy fry that I am keeping temporarily in a 15l starter tank. Up until yesterday the fry were active and swimming around happily. I have been performing frequent partial water changes. They have been eating fry granulas that I purchased for them.
I thought that the lack of filter in the tank might have been causing issues with water quality etc so I purchased a fry filter operated by an air pump.

ive put this in this morningafter soaking in the aquarium water. I’m not sure what to do now as they still seem lethargic and look really unhappy.
Any help would be appreciated as I’m so new to this. The pregnancy was accidental, but bound to happen given I had a male and female platy.

Ps
I don’t keep them on window ledge but put them there so you could see them better in pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 52
Many thanks,

I forgot to mention that they are now 10 days old.
I will leave them for now to see how they get on.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I also have platy fry, I found that my female platy had fry the day after I bought her, I have 13 in a 30 gallon tank with some snails and a ghost shrimp. I feed them fish food that I grind to a powder. They are a little over 2 weeks old.

Attachments

• GEDC1416.JPG
    GEDC1416.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DCP00606.JPG
    DCP00606.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thanks, will give that a try. They literally have not left the bottom of the tank and look like they are trying to burrow in the gravel.
I’ve grown quite attached to them now and want to make sure they survive.

Thanks, will give that a try. They literally have not left the bottom of the tank and look like they are trying to burrow in the gravel.
I’ve grown quite attached to them now and want to make sure they survive.
Try a water change...

Update, two more casualties this morning. I’ve since been to the aquatics store and purchased some plants. Since then 4 of the lethargic platys are now swimming around again (yippee) and the others have moved themselves into the plants. A couple are still laying low but I’m hoping over night This might change

Update, two more casualties this morning. I’ve since been to the aquatics store and purchased some plants. Since then 4 of the lethargic platys are now swimming around again (yippee) and the others have moved themselves into the plants. A couple are still laying low but I’m hoping over night This might change
Sorry you lost more :( Fry do love to hide in plants, so hopefully they'll be less stressed and the rest will make it. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back